Chapter Ten: Deja Vu

Elisabeth was still wondering what to do. She was falling for Constantine, but she didn't belong here. She belonged back home. Constantine kept telling her that she could leave as soon as the flood subsided, but yet she saw no evidence of there even being a rainstorm. Was he just trying to keep her here? Or maybe that was just wishful thinking on her part.

What about Josh? Did he even decide to look for help, or did he just go on his mercy way. It was a week, ago that she was head over heels in love with him. Now she was having feeling for another man, and one she hardly knew. Was is really love, or just being swept up in all of the romance . The handsome, and charming stranger, in a fairytale like setting. If only her mother was here. She soon heard a knock on the door.

"Elisabeth!", the voiced said, "It's Elaga, may I come in?"

"Of course!", replied Elisabeth. Elaga looked at her and smiled.

"I have good news!", said Elaga, "The women of the village have voted you Queen of the Harvest Festival." Elisabeth had a perplexed look upon her face.

"Me?", asked Elisabeth, "What could I have possibly down to deserve that? Shouldn't that have gone too a local villager? Constantine didn't have anything to do with that, did he?"

"No my dear.", replied Elaga, "It's just that they've never before seen outsider, that was a woman. The few that arrived have been men. I think you just fascinate them. Now when you first came here, we went through your bag, as I had told you. So, that's how we found the right size dress for you."

"Dress?", asked Elisabeth.

"Yes my dear, all women wear white gowns to the festival.", replied Elaga, "White dresses are hard to keep clean, especially in such a rural area as this. It's a celebration of beauty, a successful harvest, and just the love through the community." Elisabeth had a puzzled look on her face after Elaga mentioned the community.

"May I ask you something, Elaga?", asked Elisabeth, Where are the children? For that matter, why are you the only person here around your age? You said you had a husband, but I haven't seen him anywhere."

"I lied about the husband part.", replied Elaga, "I mentioned him so you would listen to me about staying in bed, until Constantine visited you. The truth is, I was married, once. But that was a long time ago. I divorced him, because he was abusive."

"I'm sorry.", said Elisabeth, "I can't even imagine. How did you finally get the strength to leave?"

"Constantine was the one who gave me the courage to finally leave him. I have been like a mother to Constantine ever since. He makes sure that I'm always well provided for , and I help make sure the village is well taken care of. Constantine has both been a father, and a son to me. He gave me a chance long before anyone else would. He's a good man, but can be very misunderstood. As for there being no children, a few women are pregnant. The next generation just hasn't been born yet. The older ones with the exception of Father Francis, and myself,  has passed on."

"How did they all die?", asked Elisabeth.

"Different things.", Elaga replied, "Old age, accidents, improper health habits. The same things everyone dies of, even in your world. See the villagers of the current generation had their children late in life. You also have to keep in mind that we are a small community. This also isn't the life for everyone.  Some people left when they became of age.  That's why Constantine is pushing a vegetarian diet.  That ham you had the other day, was a vegetarian substitute."

"Really?", asked Elisabeth, "I've had vegetarian substitutes before.  They are usually obvious.  You're joking right?  How can that even be possible?"