xix. stuck

CHAPTER NINETEEN.
[ xix. stuck ]
/ IRL /

CARTER STOOD THERE frozen in disbelief that Wyatt Oleff was there in the flesh. He, however, had a wide and awkward smile plastered onto his face. Her expression, however, was filled with disappointment. She felt tears brim her eyes, telling herself that this was all a "mistake". Her friends looked at her eagerly, wanting for her to do something. But all she could do was stand there, choking up.

The ginger looked away from the boy and stared at her friends, having a blank face. "You all knew about this?" Carter gasped softly, her lips turning to a frown. Cordelia nervously looked at Quinn, who panicked and smiled brightly.

"Wyatt was nice enough to plan this whole thing," Quinn explained, her voice become quieter and quieter. Carter scoffed, throwing her hands up in the air. She stared up at the ceiling, trying not to show any tears. Wyatt stood at the foot of the door not knowing what to do. The pit in his stomach seemed to grow deeper, like a bottomless pit.

"Go home, Wyatt," Carter stated loudly, bringing her head back down. Wyatt was taken back by this, swallowing the forming lump in his throat. She shook her head, biting the inside of her cheek. "Why would I want to see you, anyway?" Even though he didn't show it, he was hurt. He felt like the whole world was crashing down in front of his eyes and there was nothing to do to fix it.

"Carter . . ." Maryland trailed off, reaching over to touch her shoulder. Carter moved so the girl was unable to touch her. Maryland noticed the hint and subtly brought her hand down.

"You surprising me was useless," Carter scoffed, trying desperately not to let a tear fall. She saw the embarrassment and the hurt on his face, so she decided to turn around. She sniffled, knowing in order to get over him, she needed to get rid of him.

The ginger started to rapidly press the 'up' button as she wanted the elevator to open. "Please rethink this," Jayden whispered as he tried to make her calm down. She shook her head, keeping her focus on the button as she continued to press it.

"Skrt, please." Her breath hitched at that nickname Wyatt had given her. Carter closed her eyes, letting out a shaky breath before hearing the elevator door open.

"You can talk it out," Cordelia reminded as she looked over at the curly-headed teen inching closer and closer. Carter chose to ignore her statement and opened her eyes, seeing an empty elevator practically calling out her name. She took a deep breath before walking, knowing this was her decision.

As she turned around, looking from inside the elevator out, she saw Wyatt standing in front of the elevator with pleading eyes. All Carter did was purse her lips and fold her arms, trying to stay 'strong'. As the doors started to close, her and her friends thought it was all gonna be over. But in Wyatt's eyes, it was just the beginning.

Just as the doors were coming to a close, he reached his hand in, which stopped the doors from moving forward. Her eyes went wide and her heart started to race, wanting him out of the compact elevator. She reached over and quickly started to press the button on the side, which was used to shut the doors faster. Yet, he managed to get in before the doors closed finally.

"Dammit!" Carter yelled out in anger as she watched the doors shut, seeing Wyatt in the corner of her eye beside of her. She let out a groan as she started to gently hit her head against a wall, dreading this situation.

"Can you just talk to me and not make it dramatic?" Wyatt asked desperately as he ran his fingers through his curls. Carter gritted her teeth and whipped around, trying to put on an angry demeanor.