xxvii. because you just blew me away

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN.
[ xxvii. because you just blew me away ]
/ IRL /

CARTER WALKED SLOWLY to the kitchen in the same pajamas she's been in for three days. Her hair was all over her head and her face looked like she hasn't slept in centuries. She rubbed her sunken in eyes as she opened the fridge, seeing the same items that were in there an hour ago. She let out a deep sigh, then a groan out of anger. "All I want is food," Carter grumbled under her breath, shutting the fridge door.

     She walked over to the cabinet and opened it up, hoping to find an ideal snack. Just then, she heard someone pounding on the front door. "Mom, can you get it?" Carter whined loudly, even though she was several steps away from the front door. The knocking continued and there was no reply from her mother. "Mom!" Still no reply.

     Carter groaned in annoyance and slammed the cabinet door. She stomped over to the door, cursing in a whisper. She opened the front door, seeing four of her friends crowded by the entrance. "Good, you're up," Maryland smiled as she made her way inside. Carter furrowed her eyebrows as she stepped beck, watching the rest of her friends pile in.

     "You didn't even ask to come in," Carter sighed as she shut the door as Cordelia was the last one to enter. "What do you idiots want? I'm kinda busy."

     "Sulking in your own filth?" Jayden remarked, receiving a glare from the ginger. "That's what I thought. Go get ready." Carter rolled her eyes and walked back to the kitchen.

     "For what?" Carter questioned as she walked back over to the previous cabinet. She glanced over at the four and saw them making themselves comfortable. "What if I want to sulk in my own filth?"

"Well, you don't really have a choice so . . ." Cordelia trailed off as she walked towards Carter. The ginger let out an aggravated sigh, leaning her head onto the cabinet. Gently banging her head onto the cabinet door.

     "It'll be fun," Quinn reassured unsurely. Carter tilted her head back to the ceiling, not wanting to leave her house. "We're going to an escape room." Carter turned her head towards Quinn, her jaw dropping.

     "Yeah . . . I'm going back to bed," the freckled face girl whispered as she moved past Cordelia. Cordelia, however, grabbed the girl's arm and turned her around; leaving Carter completely shocked. "I am going back to bed," she said sternly before yanking her arm out of the brunette's grip.

"It's the only way for you to get over him," Jayden pleaded, which made Carter stop and think. She looked at him blankly, pursing her lips. Her stomach started to turn at the thought of going to a place that caused all the drama to begin with. Jayden's voice replayed in her head, going back and forth.

"Fine," she coughed our uncomfortably. Quinn sighed with relief. "I'm going to get . . . ready." Carter turned around, taking a deep breath. Of course she was nervous about going, afraid she was going to panic and cause a big scene. But if it meant possibly getting over Wyatt, she put on a brave face and sucked it up.

***

Carter sat on the bench in between Jayden and Maryland as the five all awaited for their scheduled room to open. She took a deep breath, glancing around at the familiar features of the room. She gently rested her head onto Jayden's shoulder, who smiled at the sweet gesture.

At the beginning, Jayden used to have a crush on Carter. A crush that he kept hidden because he knew Carter would never like him like that. They were like siblings, a bond so close it would be weird if they dated. That was why he was so hesitant about Wyatt, he was jealous. Jealous because he couldn't compare to him. The popularity, the looks, the personality; he didn't have a chance.

The feelings for the beautiful girl died down after awhile since he knew her and Wyatt were getting closer. So, he told himself he was just dreaming of something that would never happen and he was correct. But once Wyatt and Carter split, the hugs he received from her made those butterflies spark back up.

"You okay?" He questioned, feeling the girl nod. She looked over to where Wyatt and her once stood. Where Wyatt and his fellow famous friends also stood, conversing with her. She sighed at the memory, blinking it out of existence.

     "I-I gotta use the bathroom," Quinn nervously chuckled as she got up from the bench. Carter eyed her nervousness, confused onto why. Quinn entered the bathroom and hurried to a stall, shutting it behind her. She quickly dialed a number and held the phone to her ear.

     "Hello?" Wyatt questioned from the other end, pressing his phone to his ear.

     "Are you in the room?!" Quinn asked in a whisper, becoming anxious.

     "Yes I told them to come get you guys'," Wyatt whispered as well, informing her. Quinn nodded, taking a deep breath.

     "Okay, so we'll act like we're gonna enter the room, but we'll shove Carter in there with you." Quinn explained, which made him nod. However, she couldn't see.

      "Alright, sounds good. Hurry." And just like that, Wyatt ended the call. Quinn closed her eyes, preparing herself. She stuck her phone in her back pocket before opening the stall. Her heart was racing as she exited the bathroom. She walked over towards the group, who were still sitting down. Carter perked her head up off Jayden's shoulder, staring at her.

      "Our room is ready," Maryland informed as she stood up. "We were just waiting on you."

     "Yeah," Cordelia snorted, "y'all weren't waiting on me this time." Carter rolled her eyes, folding her arms. A worker approached them with a smile, her eyes darting towards Carter.

     "Right this way," the worker smiled as she started to walk. Jayden pushes Carter towards the front, causing her to stumble. Maryland also guided Carter towards the front, which made her completely confused.

     "Can you guys' stop?" Carter whispered in a fiery breath. Maryland pulled her own arms back in defense. The worker stopped in front of a door, smiling ear to ear. She opened the door up, exposing darkness.

     "Here you are," the worker added. Carter bit the inside of her cheek as she walked into the dark room. Suddenly, she heard the door slam shut behind her. She jumped and turned around, seeing the once open door was not shut. She heard it lock, which caused her heart to drop.

     "No!" She exclaimed as she started to pound on the door. "I will sue your asses if you don't let me out!"

     "I asked them to do this." Carter froze and her heart practically fell out of her. The familiar male voice went through her ears. Tears formed in her eyes as she tilted her head back in defeat. She started to shake, but she hid it by folding her arms.

     She turned around, pursing her lips tightly together. The lights turned on and she saw Wyatt standing there. His eyes widened at her face, missing seeing the hundreds of freckles on her face. He gasped for air, his heart beating a million times a second.

     Carter's breath hitched when she saw his face, missing his curls that piled messily on the top of his head. She looked away, looking at the floor. "Are you a fart . . ?" She looked up with wide eyes as big as saucers. It took her back to the time him and her first got locked in together, remembering him saying this horrible pickup line. "Because you just blew me away," he breathed out.

—————

BOYS WE GOT EM.