Be Alright (Luke Hemmings)

I know you love her, but it's over, mate,

It doesn't matter, put the phone away,

It's never easy to walk away,

Let her go,

It'll be okay...

"Something's wrong," Luke thought as he entered the house. The air just didn't seem right, as if something was missing. Then, he realised.

It was quiet. Too quiet for it to be considered normal. Usually, if he came home from work, he would be greeted by the sound of the television running or his girlfriend, Laura messing around in the kitchen, preparing dinner for the two of them.

But, not today.

"Laura?" he called, "Laura, where are you? Are you alright?" Then, he heard it. The soft sob that no doubt emitted from his girlfriend. "Laura!" he called, now more panicked. "I—I'm in the kitchen," she finally replied.

Well, that was all it took for Luke to be sent running to where she said she was. And, indeed, Laura was sitting on a stool near the kitchen island. A pack of tissues was next to her, with another small pile of tissues next to it. If the way her shoulders shook did her any justice, then it showed that she had been crying for a long time. "Laura..." Luke said, heart slowly breaking at the sight of his girlfriend right then, "Hey, what's wrong?"

Laura looked up and Luke's heart clenched. Her eyes were sad, lifeless even. Despite her face already being blotchy, they were starting to pool with tears again. "I..." she started, but then she broke off and broke eye contact, "As if she were trying to hide something," Luke noted.

"Babe..." Luke said, reaching for her hand, but even he couldn't hide the pang of hurt he felt when she pulled it away. It was cold, unlike the usual warmth of her skin that Luke loved, although it could've been possible that it was because she had been crying. "Babe, what's on your mind? He asked, despite the hurt he felt.

"I'm sorry, Luke," she finally said, "I made a dumb mistake." Luke's eyes furrowed. "What? Babe, what did you do?" he asked. Laura produced a pack of cigarettes from the kitchen drawer. "Remember these?" she asked.

Of course he remembered. How could he not? Neither he nor Laura smoke, so when he found the pack on their bedside table that night several weeks ago, of course the first thing he had done was ask whose it was. "Oh, um... it's my friend's, you know, Gina's," she had replied, "She came over to visit while you were at work and she accidentally left them behind. I'll return it later on, I promise." Luke had always assumed that she had indeed returned them, but upon seeing them on the table, his thoughts were denied.

"Yeah..." he said, "What about them? I thought you were going to return them to your friend?" Laura visibly gulped. "Yeah, that's the thing..." she said. "What? Don't tell me that you've started smoking, honey," Luke said with a chuckle, trying to lighten the sombre mood. "No, no," Laura said, "That's not it. Look, the thing is, they're not Gina's." Luke's face dropped. "Then, who?" he asked. When Laura didn't answer, he raised his voice slightly, "Whose is it, Laura?" "It's your friend's, Calum's," she answered.

The colour drained from Luke's face. "Calum's?" he whispered, fearing the worst, "Why—what are they doing here?" Laura looked down again, before putting something onto the kitchen counter top. Luke took it for a closer inspection, and he paled even further.

It was a pregnancy test, and it was positive. "Laura..." he said, "Please don't tell me this is yours. We—we haven't had sex yet. Please, tell me it's not yours." Laura trembled, her voice beginning to break again, "I'm sorry, Luke."