♞ UNO

"Each of you, as an individual, must pickyour own goals

your own goals. Listen to others, but do
not become a blind follower."
—Thurgood Marshall

: FAMOUS INTRODUCTIONS

     "Hello Mr. Belmonte, pleasure to meet you," the principal of Central City High, a portly and distinguished man who had streaks of grey in his hair, held out a hand across his impeccably tidy desk to Sebastián. "And you, too, Holden. Please, sit." He beckoned the father and son to sit down in the comfortable armchairs stationed at the front of his desk. Across from Sebastián, the gold plated name-tag shined in his eyes.

     'RICK BLACKSTONE.'

     "It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Blackstone," Sebastián nodded in the man's direction, settling in the cozy green armchair. He glanced over to see Holden sit in the matching one. "So I guess I have a few questions for you," he looked back to the principal behind the desk. "About C.C.H.S. Is that okay?"

Rick Blackstone nodded, his head bobbing up and down quickly as he shifted in his seat. With the slowness of age, Rick's hands folded together and sat atop his prominent belly. "Of course, Mr. Belmonte, that's what I'm here for. Ask away."

Sebastián leaned forward in the armchair, unable to relax into it. "So C.C.H.S.... what's the policy with bullying?"

On his left, Holden let out a quiet groan and buried his face into his hands. Sebastián could see the heat rising up the back of Holden's neck as Blackstone rubbed his hands together. He felt bad for embarrassing his son but Holden's comfort would always come second to his safety.

"Dad," Holden complained quietly. "Do you seriously have to talk about that? Here, and now?"

Sebastián sent an apologetic glance in Blackstone's direction, then leaned over in the chair to speak directly with Holden. "Son," he emphasized, voice quietly stern like a parent scolding a child in public. "I don't want a repeat of last year, you hear me? Those kids were lucky I didn't find out that they were hurting you before we moved."

Holden remained quiet, face covered.

Before Sebastián could speak again, Blackstone cleared his throat quietly to draw the parent's attention away from his teen. "Erm — Mr. Belmonte — C.C.H.S. has a no-bullying policy put in place, and we are very adamant about ensuring both the emotional and physical safety of our students."

"Ah," Sebastián leaned back into his own chair now, leaving Holden to himself. "That's exactly what Greenville said too."