♞ NUEVE

"The truth is incontrovertible

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice
may attack it, ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is."
—Winston Churchill

: S.T.A.R. LABS

This is where Barry went in his free time, and where Cisco Ramon used to work. Sebastián stared up at the huge building that composed of S.T.A.R. Labs, feeling as insignificant as an ant next to the cold walls of steel and concrete. He craned his neck to look as high as he could at the top but failed to see it. Without another thought, Sebastián set aside his inhibitions and strode confidently towards the double glass doors, pushing one open with ease. He was surprised they weren't locked but even more shocked to see how abandoned the building really was.

He remembered reading online that S.T.A.R. Labs was shut down after the particle accelerator explosion but he hadn't known how massive the building was or how many people could have worked there before its failure.

It had been a building full of promise, many articles dated before the explosion had speculated about this very fact. The CEO, Harrison Wells, was in all rights a certified genius of his own stature and had predicted great things to come out of his time running the laboratories. That very same CEO was the man responsible for murdering Nora Allen; the woman, Sebastián had learned during his research, that was Barry's mother.

     Reading that had been tough.

     He felt for Barry, he really did. When Holden's own parents had been murdered in cold blood by the Scythe Wielder — Sebastián couldn't just turn around and leave the little boy. He'd been the beat cop to find his murdered parents and going into the system wasn't an option Sebastián liked for Holden. So, he'd adopted him. He took him in and gave him the best life he could.

     Raising a little boy into a teenager and, eventually, a man was no easy task. Sebastián had pulled longer nights at work, more forty-eight hour shifts and always extra jobs to pay the bills and expenses required for a growing boy. Being responsible for someone else's health and happiness wasn't easy to get used to, especially given the fact that Sebastián was an only-child growing up and didn't have to share or care about anyone except himself.

     And that's how it had been for years. Even when he was dating Raphael, Sebastián was only watching out for his own well-being. Raphael had simply promised to keep him protected during the high school years, and you do what you have to do to survive in a place like Greenville. Sebastián could talk all day about how wonderful that little town could be but it came with a hell of a lot of bad too. Evil, one might say.

     Needless to say, no alarms started when Sebastián cautiously entered the quiet building that was S.T.A.R. Labs. Nobody came to confront him, but he'd seen three or four cars parked outside in the vastly empty lot so whoever was here had to be in the building somewhere, it was only a matter of actually finding them now.