Chapter 5: Seatmate

At first, Qiu Ming Yan didn't get what Song Xiao meant by his words. She stood there, stupefied for five whole seconds before she reacted, her whole body trembling in anger.

"Song Xiao, what do you mean by that! Are you calling my mother a maid?" Song Zheng, who sat by the side, suddenly screamed at him.

Song Zi Cheng was unsure as to what kind of expression he should keep on his face. He felt his son's arrogant and bossy side was very funny, but on the other hand, he felt that Song Xiao had gone too far, so he spoke up to address the situation: "Xiao Xiao, how could you say something like that! Ming Yan, there's no need to argue over what the child said, he has lost his memories. You should sit down and eat."

"Xiao Xiao, Auntie knows that you don't like her very much, but you're already a teenager, so you can't just..." Qiu Ming Yan panted for two breaths after she sat down, but she couldn't stop herself from speaking up, continuing to talk till tears ran down her face.

When Song Xiao saw her crying as she took a seat, the crease of his brows tightened, and he turned to look at Song Zi Cheng to say: "Father, how could a concubine eat on the same table as the owner of the house..."

"Song Xiao!" Song Zi Cheng immediately spoke up to stop him. Seeing his son pursing his lips tightly, he felt the slightest regret for speaking so loudly.

Before, Song Xiao would not even utter a few sentences to him. It was rare for him to be willing to talk, and it would be bad if he were shocked to silence, "Cough, you are not allowed to say anything about something like 'concubine' anymore. Let Assistant Si get you some normal books tomorrow."

With Song Zi Cheng's interruption, Qiu Ming Yan couldn't continue to cry any longer. After all, she hadn't married into the household, and did not have the authority to fight at the dinner table. And so, she only clenched her teeth and planned to find Song Zi Cheng after dinner to complain tearfully while bringing up the topic of marriage.

There's no order within the house, and since the head of the house paid no mind to it, then Song Xiao would also leave it be, raising his rice bowl to continue his meal.

He was originally brought up in a family with literary reputation, an official of the third highest rank, and became part of the imperial family in the end. Naturally, his whole body emitted a noble-like atmosphere, and the way he had his meals was as elegant as it was clear and dignified, the sight warming the heart and delightful to the eye.

Seeing the way Song Xiao ate his meal, the pair of mother and daughter on the side, who ate without savouring their food, felt even more furious than before.

After finishing his dinner, Song Xiao followed Song Zi Cheng into the study.

"Son, do you still remember what you learned in middle school?" Song Zi Cheng then gave the books from the third year of middle school to Song Xiao after he found them, "There is only one month left before the start of the new term, and if you forget even the basics, how can you possibly pass the entrance exam?"