Chapter 14

Isaac and I manage to snag seats right before the music started

Isaac and I manage to snag seats right before the music started. Danny gives me a wary look from up on the stage and I realize that I don't have much time to come up with an explanation for what's been going on. I can't think of any logical way to explain all of this time him, and I worry how it might affect our friendship.

The music starts off slow and soft. I feel my heart fill with pride at the sound. I remember listening to Danny playing his trumpet a few times over the summer, and to see him up on stage right now killing it is incredible. I feel the energy in the room rise with that of the music. I look around to see a few people have started crying, though I imagine that has more to do with the tribute than the music itself.

Suddenly I'm overcome with a strange feeling. The room starts to blur around me, and I can hardly hear the music anymore. I close my eyes and the music stops completely. All I hear now is a faint whisper, too soft for me to decipher. I focus on it, willing it to be louder.

"Eleanor," I hear as soft as the wind, "Eleanor."

I open my eyes and the music has started back up again, but something has changed. The once upbeat tribute has morphed into something darker, almost chaotic. As if in a trance I stand up and start to move towards the exit. Isaac doesn't seem to notice me leaving, but I am too focused to question why.

Once in the hallway the whispers grow louder, drowning out all other noises. I feel drunk on the sound and let it carry me through the corridors of the school. I don't feel guilt about leaving the recital or worry about where I am going. All I feel is the desire to follow these whispers wherever they may lead.

"Eleanor?" I hear, but I ignore it and keep walking, "Eleanor are you okay?"

I faintly register the footsteps coming after me, and the hands grasping my shoulders. I feel myself trying to pull away, trying to get free from whoever is blocking me so I can go where the whispers are leading. However a scream pierces through the hallway, shattering my trance. Once my head is clear I look and see that it's Stiles holding onto my shoulders, but his focus is elsewhere. Scott is crotched on the ground, his hands covering his ears. When the scream finally stops Scott looks up at us with glowing yellow eyes.

"Lydia," He says, and begins to run down the hall.

Stiles doesn't so much as spare me a glance before sprinting after Scott. I don't hesitate in following him through the maze of hallways. The whispers are gone, and replaced with the sound of banging desks and growls, which echo in the empty hallway. Running side by side, Stiles and I stop once we see an open classroom. I feel my entire body freeze at what is inside the room.

Ms. Blake? I think as my mind tries to decipher the scene in front of me. Ms. Blake is standing next to Lydia, who is duct taped to a chair. Her focus shifts over to me, giving me a wicked smile before she takes the teacher's desk and throws it towards the open door. I'm frozen in place as the door is slammed shut, blocked off by the desk. I notice Stiles has begun pounding on the door, and with effort I break out of my shock to try and help him.