Chapter 17

Somehow I end up standing here, leaning against the lab table at Beacon Hill's Veterinary clinic, surrounded by a group of people who had been all but strangers to me a few days ago

Somehow I end up standing here, leaning against the lab table at Beacon Hill's Veterinary clinic, surrounded by a group of people who had been all but strangers to me a few days ago. In fact, some of them are still strangers, but now they were the only people who can help me get my dad back.

I survey the room. To my right, Lydia and Stiles are standing next to each other. I see a thick red ring around Lydia's throat and a pained expression on Stiles face. I get the sense I am the only person in this room that actually understands how he is feeling and how debilitating the pain and guilt is. To my left is Isaac, who has taken to rubbing careful circles around my back, and the vet/emissary Deaton. Though a complete stranger, I feel a special kinship with him in a way I wasn't expecting. I guess my newfound knowledge of his link to my family made me feel like he was trustworthy, despite having never met him.

"It has to be on a telluric current," Stiles says, breaking my concentration, "or maybe at the axis of two, or where they all intersect. I just know it is where Derek took Paige to die." Only understanding half of that statement, I stay silent. It frustrates me to no end that I have such a limited understanding of the forces at play here, yet so much is at stake.

"How do we find this place?" Isaac asks

"There might be way," Deaton admits, "But it's dangerous. We're gonna need Scott."

With that information Stiles goes outside to try and get a hold of Scott. Lydia follows him, and soon I'm left alone with Isaac and Deaton. I feel both of their eyes on me, but I keep my focus on the red brick walls. Isaac had told me that this was the location where Deaton performed his duty as an emissary, and I felt both comfortable and wildly uncomfortable here at the same time.

"Eleanor," I hear Deaton say and I look up at him, "I hate that we are meeting under these circumstances. I knew both of your parents very well. Your mother incredibly talented and your father is such a kind man. I will do everything in my power to ensure he returns safely to you."

"Thank you," I whisper, feeling my eyes pricking with unwanted tears.

"I know this must be a lot for you to take in, I can try to answer any questions you may have."

"I have one," I admit, though I really have much more than one, "This place we are looking for, the..."

"Nemeton."

"Yeah, the Nemeton, how are you all so sure that's where Ms. Blake is keeping our parents?"

"As you know, Ms. Blake is a druid. Just like me, just like your mother, and just like you," Deaton says, walking over to his cabinet and taking out what appears to be just plain soil. He opens the jar and empties a pile of the soil onto the counter. I watch in awe as it falls into a pile of perfect circles, all nestled within each other. "In our past, druids would seek out the oldest tree in the forest whose roots spread the deepest and furthest. The roots provided life and connectivity to the entire forest and thus we believed this tree acted as a representation of the center of the world. In Beacon Hills this tree was cut down years ago, but a few key events have happened since. After Ennis, the alpha your mother worked with, lost his beta he attempted to turn a teenage girl."