Chapter 8: Memories

Claire Johnson

I hugged Jack Gilinsky. My instincts told me it was okay to hug him, but I also felt I had lost trust in him. I can't erase what he has done to me in my past, but if he really was trying to be the person he is trying to be now... then maybe over time he will be able to gain my trust. It seemed like both G and my cousin were trying to ask for forgiveness.

What seemed after a few moments, I pulled away from G and noticed a smile slowly appearing on his face. I leaned slightly to hug my cousin as well and could tell in our hug he was smiling. I felt a gentle squeeze before we parted. I looked towards Shawn and made the decision to give him a hug swell. I'm not sure what he could be apologizing for.

"You don't have anything to apologize for," I laughed playfully at him. He smiled weakly, but then he looked down. My smile slowly disappeared. "What's wrong?" He looked at me and sighed.

"It's just that I'm leaving Magcon..." He looked away. I felt the need to comfort him. I took one of his hands and felt a spark. His eyes widened a little. He smiled slightly.

"You're finally going to live your dream," I smiled. I'm not sure how I knew that, but it felt right. He nodded his head. Then a flash back hit me.

**********

"So, you love to sing?" I asked him, breaking the silence. "Do you want to go far in your music career?"

He looked down at his bowl "I've actually never really talked about it with anyone. I actually hope I could go really far. Maybe go on tour, but I don't think I'd want to leave Magcon, yet. Everyone here is my second family..."

I took his hand, and he didn't pull away. I felt something. "If you do go big, everyone will support you because they love you. They would want you to go on. You can't miss an opportunity like that." I looked at him, and I gave him a speech that came from my heart.

I smiled at him, and he smiled back. He went around to hug me. I hugged him back and buried my head to his chest, feeling the warmth. This hug felt so nice. It was so perfect that we stayed like that for a while.

end of flashback.

I shook my head, realizing that was a memory from the past month. Wait, I did not know Shawn before... A memory must have came back. A little rush of those feelings came back to me. Then it hit me. I did meet him this past month. I looked up realizing that they all had concerned faces.

"Are you okay?" Shawn asked softly. I nodded and let my head lean onto his shoulder like I did the first time before. He stiffened a little, but then he relaxed. I could smell his cologne, realizing that I should probably pull back. I really missed that feeling. I pulled back a little to see his expression. He looked a little shocked. Is he thinking the same thing? I heard a cough, and I realized that the Jacks were still here.

The Jacks laughed lightly, "What was that about?"

"I'm not really sure?" I asked, but it came out more as a question. They both smiled at me as I saw Aunt Jen come in with Nash and his dad. My mood changed to excitement when I saw Aunt Jen and I hugged her. She looked at me smiling with tears.

"I'm so happy that you're awake," she said, looking at me. I smiled back. "So, honey we need to talk to you," she started. I gave her a confused look.

"What do we need to talk about?" Aunt Jen looked at all the boys and they started to get up. I looked at Shawn and he gave me a kiss on the cheek. Jack and Jack did the same before they left. The only people who stayed were my aunt, Nash, and his dad.

The door opened not a moment later and I looked up to see Cameron. He came over and I smiled. He smiled back. I patted a spot next to me on the bed, and he laid down right next to me. I looked up at Nash to see hurt in his eyes and I towards him confused. Then, I turned my attention to Aunt Jen and Mr.Grier.

"Sweetie, you had a request and Nash asked me if you could stay at their house for the rest of the school year..." she said softly.

"But then you had your incident, and we didn't know you had amnesia," Mr Grier explained to me.

"I still think it's a good idea," my aunt said softly. "You'll be closer to home." I frowned and confused why I would leave to live with Nash? I know now I've lost a part of my memory, but this seemed a bit odd.

"W-what about my mom?" I asked a little confused. "I came to live with you guys, because she was in a coma..." I trailed off. I felt Cam's muscle tense and everyone's pained face. The room became silent as everyone seemed to be looking at each other. I looked towards my Aunt Jen and noticed her eyes brimming with tears. What is going on?

"Sweetheart she-" She paused for a moment and this tingly heartache feeling began in my chest. I know to the answer to this. I just don't know what happened. "She didn't make it," My aunt spoke lightly. A gasp escaped my lips and I felt my eyes now brimming. She's gone?

"She can't be..." I spoke lightly shaking my head. This was hard to grasp especially since it felt like I have just left my mom in the hospital. Cameron moved over to me and pulled me into a side hug as he sat on the bed. I felt a hand rubbing my back. I assumed it was Nash, because I could see Mr. Grier through my blurred vision hugging my aunt.

----

I feel like I'm rushing things. Any suggestions or comments? I'm like freaking out because I have tryouts for cheer in about 8 hours. I'm so nervous... ~Sam