12 Days Before X-Mas

지수

"Ella!"

With her small and energetic legs, my five-year-old daughter skated through the crowd of children like a true professional until she reached the edge of the ice skating rink. She looked up at me giggling. "Hi, mommy", she continues giggling and drops on her bottom. 

"It's time to go home, sweetie.", I say to her sweetly as I knelt down to get to her eye level. She tries to hide a pout from me, but I quickly saw and suddenly felt guilty that we needed to leave early so I can leave early for work tomorrow. 

"Can we stay to look at the big Christmas tree for five minutes? Please, mommy?", she asked with such pleading eyes that I can't say no. So, as the sweet mother I am, I give in and we walked to see the Christmas tree that stood in the middle Rockefeller Center. As obvious as it is as of where my daughter and I are at, we live in New York. 

We ordered a large cup of hot chocolate with whip cream and marshmallows. But of course, Ella ordered hers with extra whip cream and extra marshmallows. This child has a sweet tooth.  Luckily, there wasn't a lot of people walking around the center. So, it was easy to find a good seat to admire the Christmas tree. 

We comfortably sat down and looked at the tall tree. Every year, you never get tired of seeing the giant tree that just sits in the middle of Rockefeller Center in New York. It just brings joy and rebuilds the happiness to others. And being grateful to spend it with those you love. 

I am grateful to spend it with the most amazing daughter that I brought into this world. I know she feels the same for me, but I know she's smarter than I am. She knows that there's something missing every year we celebrate Christmas. The joy and spirit are there, but there's just something missing. I don't know what, but maybe Ella does. 

"Did you write your letter to Santa yet, Ella?", I ask to bring up a conversation. She cutely sips on her hot chocolate which left whip cream on top of her lip. I chuckle that it just looks like a mustache. But she licks it off and turns to me to answer my question. 

"Nope.", she says popping the 'p'. 

That's odd. "Why?", I ask. 

"Because I want to talk to Santa." 

"You're not going to write him a letter?" 

She shakes her head. "Because it's really important." For a five-year-old, she knows her vocabulary. Just to tease her, I ask her what she wanted to tell Santa that was really important. But she shakes her head again, laughing because she knows that I respect her wishes. "Aniyo! It's a secret!" 

"Aw, you're not going to tell me?", I laugh as I began to tickle her. She was starting to laugh uncontrollably that she got off the bench and started running around the Christmas to run away from me. But I was able to catch her and carry her into my arms which caused her to laugh even more. People that passed by admired the connection I had with my daughter. When Ella calmed down, she snuggled into my neck and lets out a long yawn. "Sleepy?"

"Mhm.", she mumbles and wraps her arms around my neck and next thing I know, she's already sound asleep. I finished the remaining of my hot chocolate, threw it away, and waved for a taxi to get back to my apartment which was a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center, but I didn't want to get caught up in the middle of heavy snowfall and I didn't want to worry about Ella getting sick later. 

As soon as we arrived I slightly struggled with opening the door to my apartment. I placed my bag on the table and walked upstairs to put Ella into bed. Swiftly, I moved the blankets and tucked her into bed. "Good night, sweetie.", I kissed her goodnight and went to do my own nightly routines which were: shower, brush my teeth, change into pajamas, work on a few paper works, and finally sleep. 

I checked the clock and it was only nine. I figured I have enough time to check on a few paper works and that's what I did. I sat on my bed with my laptop on my lap and I began to do what I needed to do is the ad executive. There are a few that holds the same position, but they all rely on me because I know what our target audience wants in this very special season.

As I was typing away, I received an email from one of my co-workers, Seulgi. I open the email: 

From: KSeulgi1994@ ygsmcompany.com 
To: KimJisoo1995@ ygsmcompany.com

        Hey, Jisoo! 

Sorry, its late notice and I hope that you read this email when you wake up tomorrow. I'm just letting you know that Mr. Yang and Mr. Lee are hosting a Secret Santa and since you weren't here today at work because of your day off, they asked me to let you know as soon as possible. 

See you tomorrow! 

After reading the email, I closed my email and turned off my laptop. I comfortably laid down and just stared blankly at the ceiling. I began to think of who I'll get for Secret Santa. As of right now, I know what every single person wants that works in the building so I didn't really have to worry. But if I get that one specific person. 

Then I'm in trouble. 

--

I hope you enjoy this first Chaesoo Christmas Special. 

❄⛄🎅🎄