9 Days Before X-Mas

지수

We were stuck in the office for more than two hours. And hour overtime. I was dreading to leave and pick up my daughter. I even had to text Irene that if it's okay for me to sleep over considering this utmost bafoon of a coworker decided to stay to get the project done as soon as possible with no breaks!

I slam my hands on the table, catching her attention. "Okay, how about your favorite Christmas memory?" 

Rose bites the end of her pen, thinking. And finally gives out an answer. "Well, last year I went snowboarding in South Korea." 

I made hand motions to keep her going with her memory. "Did you go with family? Friends?"

"Jisoo, I'd like to focus on the project. We only have eight days to finish this project." 

I raise my hands up in defense, to not make her anymore frustrated with me. "No, no. I know I was just trying to find a starting point.", I laugh nervously. Rose then surprised me and began to pack up her things. 

"How about we reconvene the day after tomorrow? Gather up ideas together and let's see what we can come up with?", she suggests. And I instantly agree, I am really drained out of my mind out of ideas. We say our goodbyes and we part ways from the office. I was about to call Irene, but I then get a call from Seulgi. 

I answer her call. 

"Hey, I was just about to call Irene." 

I am on my way to pick you up. And don't worry about Ella, Jennie picked her up and they're at your apartment right now. 

"Oh!", I say being quite taken aback that my baby sister came without telling me. "I didn't expect her to come to visit so soon.", I chuckle. On the other end of the line, I just hear Seulgi screaming Merry Christmas to a local Santa Claus that stands in town. Coincidentally, I can hear her nearby. I let out laughing sigh and here she is, pulling up. 

"You didn't have anyone following you here, did you? From al that yelling?", I chuckle as I jumped into her car in the front street. The scent in her car was obvious that she had a small snack of Irene's leftover macaroons. We had some small talk about work and Ella doing some good deeds like helping Irene clean the dishes and cooking. 

We arrived at my apartment and I thanked Seulgi for offering the ride. I took long steps to get to my apartment. I was eager to finally see my little sister after six months. I excitingly open the door. 

"Jisoo-unnie!" I was nearly tackled back outside my apartment door when my sister runs up to me and jumping into my arms like I was carrying nothing else. She finally notices and helps me put my presentation boards in my office. She runs back downstairs and hugs me again. "How have you been?", I ask her pulling back from the warm welcoming hug. 

"I've been well, what about you and Ella? How has she been since...you know?" I answered her question a few minutes later after I walked into the kitchen a prepared Jennie and I a microwave dinner of pasta and chicken. After serving our dinners, I gave her my answer. 

"Ella's smart. I'm sure she knows why, but she doesn't bring it up." I take a bit of pasta and chicken. 

"Does she always bring up that 'nice lady' known as Rose?", she chuckles. I nearly choked on the chicken I was recently chewing and quickly grabbed a glass of water to drown it down and save myself from dying. She chuckles at my reaction. "I'm guessing she does? She told me the story of how they met. This Rose girl does seem like a nice lady." 

I shake my head frantically. "No. No, she's not. She doesn't even know the meaning of Christmas. Let alone on how to make a commercial have a Christmas vibe to it. All she cares about are the sales of the company.", I ranted and all I receive from my young sister is a smile. This is serious.