Chapter 5

I was all for seeing her, but I still didn't know how I was going to get out of the house without Mom noticing. I can't just waltz out the front door.

I looked at my window and decided it had to be that way. What the hell was I about to do? I knew the consequences if I got caught, but that didn't stop me. I quickly put on a long sleeved shirt and the same pair of jeans I was wearing earlier. After slipping on an old pair of converse, I grabbed my keys and stuffed them in my pocket. I creaked the window open slowly and tried to be as silent as possible. Mom's room was upstairs and she probably couldn't hear me, but hey, better safe than sorry.

Getting out of that tiny window was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'm fairly thin so I assumed it wouldn't be difficult, but it also doesn't help that I'm a little over 6 feet tall. After what seemed to be ages, I finally got my whole body through the window, and closed it.

From there I ran around the house to the driveway and quietly got into my car. After starting the car, I realized I couldn't take the chance and turn on my headlights. What if they woke up Mom? I would have to rely on street lights until I passed a house or two. And so I did. Once I got to the end up the street, I came to a halt at a stop sign and quickly punched Emily's address into my phone to get directions. She lived clear across town. Nice.

I followed the directions and once I arrived at my destination, I called Emily. There was no answer and I was fairly worried. Before I had time to panic, she ran out of her front door wearing a pair of faded blue jeans, an oversized navy sweater, and brown combat boots. Her long dark hair was wet and she smelled like vanilla.

I was speechless for a minute. When I first saw her she had messy hair and smelled of blood and alcohol. She looked so helpless. Now she looked like any normal girl who you wouldn't think had any problems whatsoever.

"Quentin? Are you alright?" She asked.

"What? Yeah, yeah, sorry it's just... you look different." I answered.

"I would hope so. I cleaned up when I got home. I hope you don't think I look like I did when we met all the time." She said.

"No, no, it's..." I paused. "Where are we going anyways?"

"Just drive." She said. "I'll give you directions as we go. It's a surprise."

The idea seemed crazy but I couldn't just say no. Especially to her.

After various turns and what seemed like going in circles, we arrived at an abandoned building at the edge of town.

"We're here." She said. I felt like this was just a trick but I was wrong.

We got out of the car and she grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the building. She pulled an old rusty key out of her pocket and turned the lock on the door. Inside was totally empty, and a lot more sanitary than you would think.

"What is this?" I asked.

"My grandpa used to own this place. When he died they went out of business and grandma let me have the key." She replied.

I nodded. I didn't know what to say. This girl made me so speechless.

"Follow me," I heard her say. So I did, and I then found myself on the roof of the building. Emily walked around for a few seconds and then sat down, so I joined her.

"Quentin," she said.

"Yes?"

"Why did you help me? You could've just let me run off but you didn't..."

"Because it was the right thing to do."

She didn't say anything after that. Her hands had been sitting in her lap but I felt the presence of one of them touching mine. I just looked at her. I tended to do that a lot, but how could you not look at something as beautiful as her? From her tiny nose to her light brown eyes, she was flawless.

I turned away before she could catch me looking, and laid down on my back. She did the same.

"I know how you feel," I said hesitantly.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I know what it's like to come home everyday and just hate yourself."

"Quentin-"

"Emily I get so anxious around people and I want to thank you for making it so easy to talk to you."

She sat up and stared at me. I sat back up and without hesitation she grabbed my shirt, pulled me in, and kissed me.

I felt like I should pull away but I just couldn't. It was filled with so much passion and it was hard to believe that I just met this girl. She pulled away and looked me dead in the eyes. There were tears running down her face and her makeup was running. She looked like she did the first time I saw her. All I could do from there was hold her.