5

Dec 20th 2018

"Morning Mr Seaman" The nurse greeted me as I walked into the ward. I gave her a lopsided smile. My chest was still numb with the guilt of leaving Dallon on the bus. He'd been in a coma for over two weeks now.
"Go straight through," The nurse told me, smiling at me. I headed towards room 1981. I opened the door slowly and heard Breezy. She was holding Dallon's left hand, rolling his wedding ring around his finger. She looked up at me and smiled slightly, as much as you can smile in this situation.
"Hey," I said softly. "How's he doing?" It was a stupid question but there wasn't much more in my head at the moment.
"They said he's showing more brain activity but just not enough..." She sighed and looked back at her husband. His hair was awkwardly parted and messy, his pale, chapped lips were parted to allow a way for a tube to enter his throat. His stubble couldn't really be called that anymore. He looked so skinny. There was a reason why Breezy didn't bring Knox and Amelie anymore.

I sat with Breezy all day. We watched The Office and she never let go of his hand once. The doctors came in every so often to check on how he was doing.
"Guys... I've got some good news" Breezy and I perked up.
"He's showing more activity. I need you to talk to him, try and get him to respond"
"Dallon, Baby, please. Come on you're so close" Breezy said. I went to his other side and held his hand.
"Come on Dal, just one more push and you'll be back with us," I told him. We looked at the doctor and he motioned for us to continue. It felt so stupid.
"Amelie and Knox miss you, baby. Please" Breezy's eyes were welling up. My mouth was dry. Suddenly, Breezy's eyes lit up.
"His hand... it moved" She was right. His fingers were twitching. The doctor looked at his monitor and a smile crept across his face.
"Dal?" I choked out. His squeezed my hand weakly. I started to smile.
"Oh my God..." I whispered. His eyes opened slowly. He looked around, blinking.
"Dallon" Breezy whispered. He looked at her and smiled. He was going to be okay. I knew that now. He was awake and that's all that mattered.