three.

[ 003. pity and anger ]

            Mackenzie sat at the dinner table with a blank face, pretending to listen to her mothers pity talk and attempting to avoid her fathers long lasting stare. Shortly after eighth period began, Melissa had texted her saying that she was going to need to cancel her plans, because they needed 'to talk.' Which Mackenzie was not happy about.

            "Mackenzie. Are you listening to me?"

            Kenzie flinched at her mothers soft voice growing louder, she didn't want her to be angry with her. "Yes ma'am." She lied, brushing her stringy brown hair off her face.

            "What did she say then, girl?" Her father spat bitterly, clenching his fists in anger. Her mother flinched at her husbands cold tone, "Calm down, Kurt." She whispered, placing her her hand on his.

"I will not calm down, Melissa! You're talking to her and she should be listening! Now, what did your mother just say to you, Mackenzie?" He yelled once again, Slamming his fist against the table.

"I don't know." Kenzie whispered, fear clear in her small voice. "You don't know?" His angry voice boomed loudly through the empty house. Mackenzie flinched, snaking her head reluctantly.

Mackenzie watched with frightened eyes as her father practically jumped out of his seat, stomping alongside the table to reach the daughter that he once loved.

As expected, her fathers hand met her cheek rather harshly. Though she had seen it coming, it didn't stop the tears from brimming in her eyes.

"Listen to your mother when she talks to you and this won't happen again." He growled,  but Mackenzie knew it would. Even a  change of breathing around him would earn her a beating, so she knew not to get her hopes up. 

Mackenzie's eyes instantly flickered back to her mother, who was staring down at the table with an unreadable expression.

     Quickly, Mackenzie excused herself back to her room, shutting the door quietly behind her. "Lord, please. Help me." She whispered softly, shutting her eyes in a failed attempt of keeping the tears from falling.

All she wanted, was to know that at least one person was capable of caring for her.

nadia's note !

an update before i die again, the
end of the semester is always a bitch