Finan: Confession

It has been months since you last saw the Lord Uhtred and his warriors. His children asked a lot about him, what he was doing, if he maybe was dying, if he was victorious. Gisela often told them stories about her husband and you just often sat alongside her, listening, remembering. You were saves once to, by one of Uhtred his man ... Finan. He saved you before a ruthless dane had the chance to kill you, just as he killed your sister, your father and the rest of the village. You were lucky and you knew it. Ever since you worked here alongside of Gisela, taking care of the children as you every day hoped on the return of those warriors. Not only because they gave you that feeling of safety, you wanted to see Finan back, seeing him safe and healthy. There was nothing between the two of you, he was a warrior of Uhtred, yet you always caught him on watching or the other way around.

The winter bite his way through Winchester, you wrapped a cloak tight around his eldest son while leading him towards the fire you just stoke. Hild came in, stretching her cold fingers as she turned herself towards Gisela.
'A scout announced the arrival of Lord Uhtred.' She announced with a smile. Gisela looked aside to you, suppressing her lover for her husband's return behind a small grin.
'Come on, your father is on his way.' She said to the children. You laid your hand against on his eldest son's shoulders as you all stepped outside, looking for the horses through the streets. It didn't took long before you recognized the big furry cloaks and the familiar faces. You looked down to his son, holding him from running of. Uhtred smiled as he saw his wife and children. They all seemed to be in good health. Your eyes went to Sithric and Steapa before they fell on Finan. You couldn't resist the happy feeling on the inside of you seeing him loyal as always alongside of the lord. He held his arm a little stiffer against his chest what meant he was probably slightly wounded.
'How did the months fare my lord?' Hild asked.
'As if you didn't stopped praying Hild.' He answered, letting himself fall out of the saddle. You eyes went back to Finan who was looking at you.
'Did you miss me Y/n?' He joked, groaning as he jumped from the horse.
'Not as much as I missed your sense of humor.' You answered with a polite nod.
'He didn't stopped winning along the way Y/n. Talking about how much he wanted a wife like you.' Uhtred chuckled, giving his right hand a ferm shoulder pat before walking over his wife. 'The stubborn ass has a injury, take a look at it.' He followed, giving you a small nod before grabbing his eldest son from the ground.
'He is lying.' Finan said in his defense. You smiled, looking from one warrior to another, all family, all part of your life.
'Let's go all inside so I can take a look at who is wounded.' You suggested to one of the houses. Hild joined you, given Finan wasn't the only one.

His hair and beard grew a lot bigger through the months. You poked the fire, giving them all a cup of ale.
'She is such a sweet one.' Sithric said. You knew they were taunting Finan, like they always did.
'Don't you need to go find your woman? She probably has already another child.' Finan taunted him right back. Sithric slapped him against the head and Finan ducked away, causing a little pain to flare up in his expressions.
'Let me take a look.' You suggested, nodding towards his shoulder.
'You may do that.' He reacted. You shook your head on his wide inviting smile as you helped him out of his armor. His skin was still cold from the whole journey, yours on the other hand. 'Always such a warm touch.' He noticed. You softly smiled, looked him for a short moment in the eyes. He rolled his jaw, pulling his attention back to his cup of ale. You pulled his shirt aside and looked to his shoulder wound.
'How old is this?' You asked.
'A week.' Sithric answered in his place. You nodded, grabbing some herbs as you started to make a concoction out of it that would help him heal and fend of the infection.
'Try to let this armrest for some days.' You advised him, he just nodded, looking to your fingers smearing the concoction out on his wound, slowly massaging it into his skin.
'We should take you with us next time, as a healer.' Finan said, looking up to you to measure your reaction.
'Are you leaving soon again?'
'Depends on what King Alfred wants from our lord.' He answered, squeezing his eyes a little together. 'Would you miss me Y/n?' He asked. You laid a bandage around the wound, closing it neatly underneath his shirt.
'Staying behind here, wondering how much of you have fallen isn't always a nice thought.' You answered him honestly.
'Then pray.'
'It would be selfish to pray for the safety of one man alone.' You whispered, smiling shortly as you stepped back, cleaning your herbs. You felt him watching, a very long time but you didn't dare to look back after your confession. You had fallen for him, maybe already a long time ago. Just now, not seeing him for so long, gave you that realisation. As you looked back he had that content smile on his lips, laughing over something his friends sad. He was relaxed. Maybe they didn't weren't the only one giving you a safe feeling, maybe it was the same for them to be here among the woman that took care of them.