Finan: New adventures

It was such a small walk you and Hild took from the house to the water well, but by the time you got back to Lord Uhtred his house the men of the king where gathered around. Steapa was threatening on burning the house and the reaction to that made you roll your eyes as you followed Hild closer. His big mouth would get him killed some day. Hild pushed her way between the soldiers of the king.
'For goodness sake, stop behaving like children.' She said. I passed Steapa and gave him a sweet smile while walking further. The joy in teasing the kings guard fell a little from Finan his face as he saw you following Hild.
'That big mouth of yours is gonna get you killed some day.' You warned him. He looked down to you, with that serious overly protecting look of him, you loved that look.
'Hopefully I can use that mouth first for others things.' He answered, he didn't smiled like he would want to, but you knew he was joking.
'Behave.' You just said, following Hild inside while suppressing a smile.

The situation where Uhtred got himself in wasn't all that promesing. Beocca left him with the demands of the king and you just stayed still. The exchange of looks between Uhtred and Finan made you a little restless so you turned away, pointing your attention to his daughter who laid sleeping in the soft moonlight. It didn't took long before you felt him standing behind you. You looked towards your shoulder before slowly looking up.
'What is going to happen?' You asked softly. Finan let his chin for a short moment rest on your shoulder.
'Knowing the Lord, not much good.' He answered you honestly. You looked to his sleeping daughter before turning your body a little, resting your shoulder against his chest.
'I understand why he doesn't want to plech the oath but what else can we do?'
'You do nothing.' Finan whispered. You looked up to him, searching his eyes for more then only those words. He signed, lifting his hand to let his hand rest against your neck. 'This is not your fight.' His said, smiling almost tenderly.
'Finan.' Uhtred called for him and you took your distance. Finan turned around and walked back to the lord while you tugged his daughter further under the furs. You didn't hear where they were talking about but it didn't took Uhtred long before he stood up and followed his warriors outside. You followed to the door, looking how Uhtred willingly left his sword and dagger with Finan before following Steapa to the king. Finan followed the lord with his eyes before he turned around and walked back.
'What is the plan?' You asked. Finan seemed suck between feelings, he didn't gave you a look as Sithric gave you a rather concerned one.
'He won't pledge the oath, so if things go wrong we need to be ready to leave the city.' Sithric explained.
'Who is we?' You could guess, otherwise Finan wouldn't behave like that.
'I'm gonna ready the horses.' Sithric said, taking the sword and dagger over from Finan before leaving the house.
'Finan?'
'I won't abandon you.' He said. So it was true, Uhtred would leave with his men while the others stayed behind with his children.
'You must.' You reacted. You walked over to him, grabbing his rough hands between yours. 'I will be fine, I will make sure his children are safe.' You promised.
'And what about your safety?' He asked. Your expressions grew tender as you stroke his beard.
'Finan,' You started, shaking your head because you didn't knew what to say to make this right. 'your pledged your loyalty to him, he is your brother, you are his right hand.'
'And I pledged my heart to you.'
'We will meet again.' You smiled. He let his head hang until it rested against your forehead. You melted under the warm touch of his hands around your face. 'You need to go.' You whispered. He closed his eyes, tilting his head before pressing his lips against yours. You opened your lips, wrapping an arm around his neck as you gave the fullest of yourself in this short moment. When he pulled back his eyes didn't lost the concern about your safety. 'I will pray for you.' You promised him. He pressed a kiss against your forehead before he pulled back and walked out. Finan wasn't always so good in expressing his feelings, but it had said enough.

Weeks passed since that day. You never received a message from them, it were completely silent days in which you prayed and asked yourself if they were all well. Given what Uhtred did it could only mean that they were with the danes, with his brother Ragnar. One day Beocca came to visit, looking over his shoulders before entering the house. You greeted him with a respectful nod, thinking he would need Hild but he pointed his direction to you.
'I need your help with something.' He started.
'You got news from Lord Uhtred?'
'No, no,' he shook his head, thanking you for the cup you provided him with. 'Aethelflaed is threaten with her life, she calls upon Uhtred.' He explained.
'I need to go get him?' You were a little confused.
'No, I will give him the message, you need to go to the princess, protect her, reassure her that her message has arrived.' He said.
'Good, where is she?' He provided you with her location and you silently nodded, preparing a horse before leaving the city. Finan would disapprove if he would know, you, all alone out there. But he wasn't here, you could only hope you would see him soon enough.

Aethelflaed was most thankful with your arrival. And you were glad to be somewhere else for a change, to have the chance to serve a woman like her. You were seated beside her and the nuns as your eat an incredible well cooked meal when three nuns came running in.
'There are men in the kitchen, danes!' They announced. You looked aside to the princess as she got up.
'Close the doors, move the tables against them, quickly.' She commanded. You started pushing the table before grabbing a hold of the only dagger you always held close, a dagger Finan once gave you. Everybody started to talk through one another while you could only focus on the fact that this good well be have you least meal. The nuns gathered on the noises behind the door while Aethelflaed draw her sword. You went to stand on the other side of the table, looking at each other you gave her a small nod before focussing your attention to the noises. One of the nunes started babbling and your gave her a nervous look.
'But what if I'm Christian by birth but a dane by the heart? What then?' Everybody jerked their heads around, looking up to Uhtred sitting there smiling. You lowered the dagger, relieved. Uhtred being here also meant that Finan was around. You and the nuns pulled the tables away and the doors slide open by Sithric. Your eyes roamed over the heads, finding Finan in complete health and that smirk on his face.
'Y/n?' He said surprised, seeing you stand there still with that dagger in your hand. 'Were you planning on killing me with that?' He asked, slightly joking. You looked down, signing in complete relief before putting it away and walking over to him. You threw your hands around his neck, feeling his strong embrace protection you in this moment. 'What are you doing here?' He asked.
'Beocca send me.' You answered. He stroke his thumb against your cheek before kissing you.
'Somebody missed his woman.' Sithric chuckled, slapping Finan against the head in the middle of your kiss. You smiled against his lips before pulling back.
'He is right, for once.' Finan agreed with Sithric. 'I missed your warmth at night.'
'It has been a while.' You agreed. Finan squeezed you in the side before turning his attention back to Uhtred.

It seemed like they didn't got much food on the road. You felt almost sorry for the nuns who provided them with all their food. They kept eating till after midnight before they agreed on who would stand watch and who would sleep. Finan loyal as always napped for just a little bit and took watch almost the entire morning. You woke up alone, something you were used to.
'Your man is taking a swim all by himself, what good a woman are you Y/n?' Uhtred asked as soon as you arrived at the tables, again floated with food. You suppressed a smile.
'Lord.' You greeted him, taking a turn and leaving the monastery for the lake behind. You walked over the wooden pier, smiling as he ducked under. You stood still aside his clothes, grabbing his sword.
'Would be a shame if somebody was planning an attack right now.' You stated. He turned around, tilting his head as you pointed the sword towards him. 'Or run of with your clothes.' You shrugged. He swam towards the pier, you could guess he would be freezing in this cold water.
'I think those nuns wouldn't live through the day if they see me walking naked.' He said wide smiling. You chuckled, crouching down when he pushed himself up. You eyes roamed over his body, his lips felt ice cold against yours. 'Would there be a priest here hiding somewhere?' He asked.
'Why?'
'To marry you, now that we have the time.' He whispered. You studied his face, the corner of your lips jumping up before you stood up.
'You better get Uhtred his permission then.'
'Is that a yes?' He asked. You turned around in your walk.
'Get out of the water Finan before things freeze off we both want to keep.' You winked and walked back to the monastery. He asked you ... after all this time he finally asked you to marry him. This was probably the best day of your life.