Finan: Forbidden love

You had already done it all that morning, from carrying buckets water forth and back to chopping some wood. A husband like yours was useless, the only thing he did was drinking ale and command you around. You were the most happy when he followed into battle, it was the only time you had some quiet and peace. The pile of wood in your arms hardly gave you the opportunity to look where you were walking. The mud underneath your feet made everything even more difficult. A wood block fell of the pile and you signed, trying to trace it with your eyes for somebody picked it up for you.
'You burden yourself with to much Y/n.' You recognized that voice again, that heavy Irish accent and it made you instantly smile, looking for the face that suited the voice. He still held the wood, looking up from it in your eyes.
'Some women simply don't have that choice.' You replied softly. You saw he wanted to help you but that would only result in your husband being rough with you when he noticed your affection for this warrior.
'Why are you doing this to yourself?' He asked. He was concerned, something you loved, his tenderness, his concern and yet he could be so lethal.
'Because I don't have a choice.' You repeated.
'Finan!' You both turned towards Uhtred who was looking at the both of you. 'Let her be in peace, she is to good a woman for you anyway.' He made a joke and yet both of you knew he only did it to keep Finan safe. Finan looked to the ground before looking back to you.
'Be safe.' He just said, with those raised promesing eyebrows, walking away with that piece of wood still in his hand.
'You to.' You followed softly. Finan walked by Uhtred who gave you a soft look.
'Go home Y/n.' He commanded you before following his right hand to the horses.

That evening you were in the company of Gisela, Uhtred and his men. You provided them with food, ale and wine. You placed a plate between Uhtred and his wife while trying to ignore Finan his look.
'He will cut your eyes out if you keep looking at her like that Finan.' Uhtred warned. You were just stepping out of the room, yet you stood still out of sight, listening to the conversation.
'He doesn't care for her, she deserves better.' Finan reacted.
'She deserves a man like you? Who can die in battle and swore his life to my sword?' Uhtred always had strong arguments, he was right ... in a way.
'So Sithric gets to marry a whore,' He didn't gave up.
'She wasn't married.' Sithric came to the defense.
'Finan! She is playing with your head, let it rest, you don't want him after you.' Uhtred reacted. He wasn't getting impatient, yet his voice was a little sharper and Finan was silent. What Uhtred said was true, your husband was the size of Steapa. You believed that Finan could beat him but where would that lead to.
'I think that is something between Finan and Y/n, if he wants to fight for a woman then that is his right. She is a kind woman and she doesn't deserve a husband like she has now.' Gisela came in between.
'Thank you milady.' Finan whispered.
'I thought you supposed to back me up.' Uhtred reacted.
'Did you not fight for me my love?' She asked, leaning over for a kiss. It was a long time silent and you peeked behind the corner towards the table. Finan seemed more at ease while Uhtred only shook his head, yet he wasn't angry. He probably was thinking how big a fool Finan was to try fight this. You turned your eyes away, thinking over the possibilities. You knew Finan would follow his loyalty for Uhtred around, if Uhtred did forbid it he would obey but if he gave a certain permission ... who would stop Finan then? Not your husband, of that much you were sure. Yet, how concerning the thoughts were, you smiled a little, felt a little hope, a little laughter on the inside of your stomach. Maybe life didn't had to be so punishing after all.

The days that followed were a constant feeling of eyes in your back. Uhtred and his men prepared for a journey north on command of King Alfred. You were washing your husband his clothes as you looked how they readied the horses. Finan said something against Uhtred who shook his head before nodding my way. I pulled my hands out of the water and looked how Finan came my way, he looked around before pulling me gentle on my elbow behind the shed.
'I'm leaving for battle,'
'Then I will pray for your safety Finan.' You smiled, keeping behind the concern and feelings you started to grow for him. He laid his hand against your cheek, stroking his thumb along your cheek before pulling back.
'Be safe.' He said, turning around to leave.
'Finan.' You stopped him by grabbing his hand. He studied your face for a second while you stepped closer, rasing to your toes and pressing a featherlight kiss against his cheek. 'You be safe.' You whispered. You pulled slowly back, looking up into his eyes. He smiled, like somebody just told him a joke, like he was relieved of some kind of burden. He nodded, laying his hand on the knot of his sword before walking back to Uhtred. You walked from behind the shed and looked at him leaving, knowing that once he came back, everything would be different.