Uhtred: Voice of love

Under festivities like this, a wedding, you often found yourself smiling in the company of your family or friends. But there wasn't much of that in the place you stood now, facing the king, king Alfred and his newly wed daughter. You felt uncomfortable standing here, knowing your were summoned for your voice. In Wessex it wasn't often you found somebody with such a soft slight crack in her voice like you. You used to sing among your family but apparently somebody caught your talent and served it before a king. You smiled shyly bowing before the newly wed couple as you stood aside.
'Nice for you to come.' Aethelflaed said with a kind voice. Her warmth reached you but that of her husbands stayed on a cold front. Never before you felt so nervous, knowing that many high people and soldiers would here that soft voice.

You turned to the audience, standing at the side as your eyes roamed over every single head that was present in that room. You stopped on the sight of the dane, Uhtred, Alfred his best warrior. It wasn't the first time you exchanged looks with him but it never went beyond some polite words from his side. But you couldn't ignore that feeling every time you came in contact with him, every time he smiled at you, nodded, you was present. He smiled at you while he said something to his companion. You looked down to the ground, finding your courage as you slowly took in a breath, starting to hum on the first notes of your song.
'You have my heart,' You sang while your eyes slowly went up, connecting with the lord Uhtred first before you smiled and looked aside to the newly wed couple. 'and we never be worlds apart,' you followed your song. It was soft, swift and everybody was silently listening. That had to count for something. It sounded like nothing more that a whisper on some moments but when your voice faded you got the appreciating comments among the public you stood for. You made a polite bow towards the king, trying to ignore the love of others as you tried to find your way out of the crowd. Somebody handed you a cup of ale and you looked down at it, not being used to drink like this.
'I will drink it for you.' You looked up towards Uhtred who nodded towards your cup.
'My lord,' you bow as he cocked his head with a smile. 'why would you do that?' You asked, gazing down to the ale. He stretched his hand, touching yours as he took the cup over. As your fingers contacted with his rough ones you could only look down to it.
'By the looks of it you don't like ale as much as I do.' He reacted. Your eyes jumped back up, studying the crook smile in his lips before you let go of the cup.
'Thank you my lord.' You said with nod of your head. There was no place for you here, among those wealthy and worthy men, among the warriors of the king so you looked over to the door.
'Do I need to let somebody accompany you home?' He asked, noticing your discomfort in the situation.
'No, I will find my own way home.' You said with a quick smile before walking away.
'You have an amazing voice,' his voice trailed and you looked over your shoulder, feeling your cheek burn under the kind words he was drowning you with.

As you walked home a man approached you from behind.
'Sing me another song!' You scared up out of your thoughts, jerking your body around to watch the man, he seemed drunk.
'I'm sorry, I'm heading home.' You answered him as polite as possible.
'Sing me another song.' He demanded again. You swallowed, turning your head back to fasten your pase. But by the time you could turn the corner he already got a hold of your wrist, a painful hard grip. 'Another song!' He repeated himself roughly as he pushed you against a wall. You never were a tough person, so it didn't took long before you felt the tears welling up.
'Let go of me.' You asked him way to softly. His eyes traveled down over your body.
'Your a nice looking woman, if you won't sing I can pleasure myself in other ways.' He suggested, pushing his fingers deep into your hip. You wanted to scream but his hand was quicker as he smothered you need for him. 'Not that song,' he laughed to himself as he pushed his body against yours, fingers starting to assemble your skirt in his fist. You started to fight, fight just as hard as warriors fought for their live. The pain of his grip, his harsh way of treating you left you numb to his will. You didn't saw through your tears as somebody dragged him away from your body. You gasped, sliding down to the ground as you out loud started crying on his assaults. You heard your name in the distance before somebody touched you again and you started to fight all over.
'Please.' You begged.
'Y/n, look at me, it's Uhtred.' His voice sounded so comforting in the moment as he held your arms tightly for you were still fighting. A fight that died as you saw the contours of his face. Then it was nothing more then that numb feeling again as your head fell against his chest and the tears starting exploding over your face.

He brought you to his house, to a warm fire and the safety of his presence but it was the last thing you remembered before you fell asleep, passed away ... you didn't even know what it really was. When you woke up it was still dark. He was looking at you, that instant grin on his lips as your eyes contacted with yours.
'I thought you would sleep through the whole night.' He said. You looked around, confused as you were covered with a light blanket and nothing familiar around you. But the longer you looked the more you remembered. 'The king wouldn't take my act in anger lightly.' He started.
'He isn't dead?' You asked. The slight fear in your voice couldn't be ignored.
'No,' Uhtred answered honestly while he sat down on the edge of the bed studying your face before a rather amused smile came on his lips. 'but he will wish he was.'
'What are you doing with him?'
'Sithric is taking him to Cookham, what happens along the way is nobodies concern.' He answered with a promising look. You closed your eyes, relieved as you nodded. 'Did he harm you?' He asked. You opened your eyes, looking straight into his serious ones.
'You came on time.' You whispered, fisting the blankets in your hands as you relived the moment. He had saw you on your weakest moment and you couldn't bare the thought of the thoughts he might have. You looked away, resting your chin on your own shoulder. His fingers found the skin of your neck as his fingers slowly went to the back of your head. A movement that made your eyes close, almost shiver on the spot.
'Join me home to Cookham.' He suggested. You turned your neck on his touch, slowly looking back to him.
'I can't.'
'Why not?'
'I'm promised to another, my father,'
'That can't be what you want?' He interrupted you. His touch got feather light as he stroke his fingers back to your collarbone.
'No.' You hardly got in over your lips. You lifted your hand and laid it around his wrist, pulling his hand away from your neck, holding it in your lap. 'I can't.' You followed. His face grew in a way so tender you bite your lip, looking down.
'What if I were to kidnap you?' And for the first time your chuckled, looking up to his radiating charming smile.
'You would do that?' You asked.
'I would try.' He smiled. You went in that smile but it died way to quickly as you shook your head.
'Uhtred,' you signed but stopped as he pulled his hand from between yours.
'You gonna come to Cookham, if you like it or not.' His confidence made you a little confused. But that was who he always was, confident, strong, a real warrior. The tenderness from earlier was one of the rare things you got to witness.
'How?'
'I'm gonna convince you.' He whispered, a hand reaching for your face. You could have stopped you, for that he was moving way to slowly. But you didn't ... simply because you wanted it to happen. His fingers stroke over your cheek before his lips started to radiate a warth with the first touch. And it felt like everything. You hesitate for a moment before you laid your hand on his broad shoulder, holding that kiss that neither you or him pursue or stopped. It was you who pulled a little back, enough to loosened your lips from his but not enough to disconnect your foreheads. 'Come with me to Cookham, let me protect you.' He said softly. You nodded, not willingly, it just happened with your feeling. He smiled, looking down to your lips before kissing you again, with more move, more intensity. The little push made you slowly fall back in the bed, you forgot all about last night.
'Was that your plan all along?' You asked. He stroke a strand of hair away while shaking his head.
'I would never harm you.' He said it with such convincing and seriousity that you believed him right there on the spot and that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with him.