Lash

A/N: The following is an excerpt of the 21st chapter of Crash available for free on Inkitt

"Okay, but are you sure we're not going to get any weird looks?" Ace said to me in the cab, referring to our general get-up. Casual clothes. On our way to work.

I waved his concerns aside. "I told you, I've got a couple of suits saved in my office for emergencies. You can wear one of mine."

"But we have to get past the lobby!" Ace was a-panic as usual, playing with his thumbs. "The receptionists there always give me weird looks and with this, I'm never going to be off the hook."

The cab pulled up at the drop-off point in front of the office building and I handed him a couple of bills. "Right then, they can give me weird looks too. Stop worrying, I got your back."

That seemed to work, for some reason. Ace the snowflake needed top-notch maintenance and constant reassurance, as usual. Probably one of the many things that will never change. We passed through the front doors of the office building and greeted the receptionists in our casual wear—jeans, loafers, whatever we wore to the amusement park—as though nothing was out of the blue. Ace was right. We were getting a whole of attention from all around.

I could tell Ace was trying to keep his cool. Although I had to admit, he was pretty good at it. A stranger or a distant acquaintance wouldn't have been able to tell he was holy-banana nervous. God dammit, now I'm using that phrase of his.

"You're late motherfucker," was what Xander had said under his breath when we, so coincidentally, met at the lift lobby—him exiting the elevator while we were about to enter it. Ace did a double take, shifting to hide behind me.     

"That's coming from someone who skips entire meetings for an hour's drive to eat fucking hot cross buns?" I teased in return. "You should get a pay cut."

We exchanged discrete middle fingers before continuing in our respective directions, Ace staring as though we'd gone through some sort of odd ritual and spoken in a language he could not decipher.

A/N: Hello!! So hooray I finally updated! I'm so sorry for the delay. There is an external link attached to this chapter of the story if you want to read the full chapter! The link is also available on my bio in my profile! Hehe hope you enjoy it.