5 Friendzone

Nova

Hannah was ecstatic when I told her that not only I got a job, but I also work together with Dallas. She claimed it was meant to be.

Of course. That's how the universe works, Hannah.

My boss Cary didn't like my sudden career change. He begged me to stay at least for the V.I.P nights. Claiming that the customers appreciate a waitress that doesn't flirt with everything that has a heartbeat and bulging wallet. I, on the other hand, couldn't be happier not having to work on those nights anymore.

Dallas turned out to be a real goofball. His heart was in the right place. He always cheers me up with his jokes, followed by his signature grin.

I had trouble concentrating in the first weeks. Every time our eyes met my heart stopped and my cheeks turned deep red. He decided to give me a nickname. Angel. When he first called me like that I choked on my cookie.

Hannah must be right. Maybe I'm ready to start dating again. I can't deny that I feel attracted to Dallas. Who wouldn't be? He is really sweet and on top of it freaking hot. And by that I mean, supermodel hot.

He even caught me daydreaming about him. My mind was far away from thinking about how it would feel to be in his muscular arms. Him kissing my neck and me pulling his messy dark brown hair, sending me straight into pure bliss.

I wanted to die of embarrassment when he had to poke me in the cheek with a pen to get my attention back. He showed me his grin and told me he needed to meet the man that could make me drool like that.

If he only knew.

That was also the day I decided to put those thoughts as far away as possible. No need for more embarrassing moments.

After three months, I'm convinced we're in the friend zone. We have never been on the date that I promised Hannah. There is no need for that. We practically lunch together each day, not that that counts as a date of course.

We make bets on each lunch. How long it will take for the waitress to give her number to Dallas, without him even asking for it. The loser pays the bill.

Truly unbelievable, he literally can get every woman he wants. He attracts them like diamond rings in a jewelry store. I can't wrap my head around the fact that he is still single, though. Or maybe he's just having fun and not even interested in a serious relationship.

It's Friday late afternoon and we are finishing the latest details when he asks, "Wild plans this weekend, Angel?"

I shrug, it's not that I have a very outgoing lifestyle. "The usual. Modern dance class tonight and tomorrow morning my run with Koda. Sunday a combination of tea, ice cream, and Netflix in bed. You?"

He shakes his head and answers, "No, not really... your Sunday sounds good, though. I'm thinking about crashing your Netflix party."

Of course, invite yourself to Dallas.

"You always say that and you never show your face," I say, with a fake scowl.

"That's because you only watch the sweet romantic movies. Making me want to vomit." pulling a disgusted face with his answer.

"So, not true!" I squeal a bit too loud, attracting curious looks from different colleagues.

He laughs at my high-pitched voice, making me blush in embarrassment.

"I only watch horror and you know it. I think you're afraid. Afraid of not being able to duck under the covers when it becomes too nasty and having to admit I'm tougher than you."

"You know what Angel?" he says challengingly. "It's a date. You'll pick the scariest and disgusting horrors you can find and we will see who is the toughest."

A date? Fuck me and fuck my big mouth. Note to self. Clean your room tomorrow.

"You're in charge of ice cream if I have to pick all the movies." doing my best to sound annoyed and secretly hoping he will back out.

He shrugs. "Fine by me!"

We stare at each other for a couple of seconds before bursting out in a laughing fit together.

***

At home, I have dinner with Hannah. We talk about her upcoming wedding and her still being convinced that Dallas and I are a perfect match.

After, I take a walk with my dog Koda and pack my gym bag for dance class. I can put all my feeling into dance. It's a way to relax my mind and body. Not to mention the wonders it does for your figure with all the muscles you use. It's giving me a little more confidence when it comes to men. And God knows I can use it.

Class is over and I spot a familiar face when I enter the open space of the gym. I walk over to him and his face seems to light up when he sees me. Or maybe it's my imagination playing tricks on me.

You're dehydrated, Nova. No way he's interested in someone like you.

"Angel!" he lets out, pulling me in one of his bearhugs.

"Let go Dallas! We're both sweaty." I squeal, not feeling confident enough to hug him back.

I can feel his laughter rumble through his chest and he says cheekily, "Nothing wrong with two sweaty bodies pressed against each other, Angel."

Oh. my. God!

I'm happy he can't see my face right now. He would have laughed so hard and reminded me to the end of days how horrified my expression was.

"I'm not letting you go until you give me a proper hug back."

Damn it. "Dallas! Let go of me or I will scream." I threat.

Not impressed by my words, he laughs, "Just a hug angel, that's all it takes."

I'm looking like an idiot dangling in his arms and I realize there is only one option left. I sigh and hug him back.

"That was not so bad, right!" he says with his statement grin, letting my feet touch the ground.

"Guess not," I mumble.

I bent over to grab my bag and a hand smacks my buttock.

What the hell!

Being surprised, I let out a little scream and look with big eyes in Dallas's direction.

"What?" he asks, with the most innocent face ever. "It's a crime not smacking a bend over ass looking as good as yours."

Flabbergasted, I look at him. And there it is! That stupid grin of his. I burst out laughing at my surprise.

I point my finger at him and warn, "You better watch that ass of yours, Dallas! Because when you think I'm not gonna do it anymore, I will smack it so hard you can't sit on it for days."

He chuckles with sparkles in his eyes. "I'm counting on it."

____________________________________________

Thank you for reading this chapter.

In the next chapter Matthew Hartley comes back.

Do you think Nova and Dallas are in the friendzone?

Let me know what you think.

Please vote and follow.

❤lots of love❤

Gabriella