12 Breaking a heart

Nova

I'm met with murderous blue eyes the second I close the front door behind me. Hannah barges towards me before I even have the chance to take another step into the hallway, cornering me between her and the door.

"Nova! Where have you been?" she cries with anger clear in her voice. "We were worried sick!" 

No way! She is mad at me? After they pulled this stunt?

"You lied to me, remember?" I say, taking a threatening step towards her. She stands her ground, making our noses almost touch. "I made a fool of myself because I'm an idiot and believe the things my best friend tells me. I tried to make things right with Dallas, but he was busy with something... well someone else. You probably knew that before I even went there didn't you? You both must have had a good laugh about it."

I lean my face to the left and a dry chuckle leaves my bitter mouth, "So no! I didn't feel like coming home and you don't have the right to lecture me about it either."

"She didn't lie to you, Nova."

I'm sorry. What did he just say? My eyes shift to the person standing in the doorway.

Dallas.

I look back at Hannah with a frown and my mouth drooping slightly not understanding one bit of everything that is happening. I take her face in and she comes off tired and hurt. Her eyes are clouding over, tears resting on her lids, ready to spill.

Could it be that she didn't lie?

"Nova?" I look back at Dallas and he seems forlorn, shifting on his feet and brushing his hand over and over through his hair. "Can we talk, please?"

I ignore him and ask Hannah the question that is burning on my lips "You didn't lie to me, did you?"

She lets out a sob, finally spilling the tears she was holding, "No, you stupid!"

She allows me to pull her into a hug and another sob vibrates against my neck. "I'm so sorry, Hannah," I say, rubbing her back in a soothing manner. "I was convinced you pulled my leg. I should have known you would never do that."

God! How could I believe my stupid thoughts? It is official, I'm unnaturally stupid when it comes to friendships or relationships for that matter.

A few strands of blond hair stick to wetness on her cheeks when she pulls away from our embrace. She quickly wipes her eyes and places the wet strands behind her ears.

"I'm so sorry, Han," I say, regret clear in my voice, taking her hands in mine. "Please, tell me what happened. Noting makes sense to me anymore."

A nod and a deep sigh are all she needs to tell me what happened, "You would not listen to me in Vixens, and I thought it would all work out when you texted me that you would go and see Dallas to talk. So I left it with that, thinking we would be fine. Unfortunately for me, Dallas called that you barged out of his building after his hookup opened the door."

Her head snaps toward Dallas when he scoffs behind her.

I squeeze her hands, "Han, just let him be."

"Yeah, sorry," she mumbles, with a grimace. "All I knew was that you barged out and I assumed you would come home even when we were not on the best of terms. I was so worried when you didn't. I called you like a thousand times and they all went straight to your voicemail. You didn't even reply to all the messages I send you.  Just one message with, I'm okay, would have been enough, Nova! But not even that! We even called the police, afraid someone did you harm. Seriously, Nova, never again. I don't care if you are mad at me, or even hate my guts. Promise me that you'll at least let me know that you're safe!"