Chapter 2: The New Guy

Author's Note:

Hey all! I've decided to add a prologue to this story. So if you're here, make sure you've given that a read! :) Sorry if this caused any confusion. Let me know what you think of it!

____________________________

"Well, fuck!" Rebecca cursed and stared at her phone with mild shock. It had been in her hands a second ago but now it lay on the concrete sidewalk face down. It was all thanks to a savage New Yorker that had bumped her shoulder and just walked away.

With a second of hesitation and fear that her screen could possibly be shattered beyond repair, she picked it up. Thankfully, her imagination had been a lot worse than the actual damage to the phone. She made sure her touch screen still worked before continuing walking. She'll have to make do with a cracked screen for now.

Just like every weekday morning, she grabbed a drink from Starbucks before walking over to the building where she worked. 10 minutes later, she'd settled into her office and fired up the computer. She had just started checking her email when a knock on her office door made her look up.

"Good morning, Rebecca. How was your weekend?" Marie, an analyst on her team asked.

"Ah! You know, same old. Went to a friend's birthday party. Yours?" She beamed, resting her elbows on the desk and clasping her fingers together.

A giant grin covered Marie's face. Without saying a thing, she simply held her left hand up for Rebecca to see.

"Oh...my...lord! He finally proposed!" Rebecca exclaimed, standing up from her chair and walking to Marie. "Let me see that." She sighed appreciatively at the glittering diamond ring on her finger. "You deserve it. So happy for you!"

"Thank you! I'm still wrapping my head around what happened. Honestly though, I can barely control my excitement!" Marie said with a huge grin.

"Awh! I can only imagine what an incredible feeling this must be." Rebecca wanted to say more but her phone rang, interrupting their chat. "Hey, let me take you out to lunch this Friday. I want to hear all about it." Rebecca said, as she walked back and stood behind her desk with her hands on her waist.

"Sounds good! I can send you a calendar invite if you want."

"Absolutely. Please do that." She looked at Marie with one last smile before picking up the phone receiver and sitting down.

"Ricky, you know how nervous I get about the rest of my day when you call me this early in the morning," Rebecca half joked. Ricky O'Brien was her boss who she had a great working relationship with. They both seemed to have similar goals for their organization and resembled a well-oiled machine, working towards strengthening their department's performance.

Ricky laughed, making Rebecca chuckle as well. "Lucky for you then, I am not calling about any fires. I'm just calling to check-in and thank you for the report you sent over last week. I know it was a lot to ask for on such a short notice but you delivered, as always."

"Of course. It was my pleasure." As she said those words, she almost cringed. Crunching all those numbers and spitting out that report was anything but a pleasure. She'd almost given up on life trying to send it over in time.

"I knew I made the right choice by making you the Manager. Believe me, juggling my responsibilities has become a lot easier now that you're leading your team. I'll make sure the executives are aware of all the hard work and energy you're putting in."

Rebecca stayed on that phone call for a few more minutes before they hung up. The call left her with her a positive energy. It was satisfying to work in an environment where she knew her efforts were being recognized. She took a second to soak it in before throwing herself into the Monday madness.