Chapter 32: The Truth About Jordan

It had been a couple of hours since Noah had left Rebecca. She had since fed Joanna and put her to bed. Most guests were either back in their rooms or had gone back to their own place, depending on where they were visiting from.

After what had happened, it hadn't been easy to put on a brave face in front of Joanna. Rebecca didn't like the idea that her daughter felt her sadness. She hadn't let that happen in a very long time. That said, she had no control over it.

Placing pillows on both the sides of the bed to make sure Joanna didn't roll over in her sleep, she grabbed her phone to check the time.

It was 1:15am. Regardless, she texted Natalie for Noah's number. His old one had not been in use in years.

She got a response almost immediately.
Making a note to thank her friend for being so attentive despite it being her wedding, she texted Noah.

Rebecca @ 1:20AM: Can we meet? Are you up?
Noah @ 1:25AM: Sure. I'll come over.
Rebecca @ 1:28am: Thank you.

Rebecca quietly left the room, keeping the door slightly ajar so that she could still hear Joanna over the white noise that was playing.

On the other side of the hallway was a railing that overlooked a lush front lawn. She took in the beauty. Except for the faint noise of laughter coming from a few guests still hanging out, it was quiet. She shut her eyes, leaned her back against the wall right outside her door and let the cool breeze soothe her.

"Hey, you," Noah said, prompting her to open her eyes.

"Hey," she replied. "Thank you again for coming. I know it's late."

"When have I not come when you called, Becca?"

She looked away, slightly embarrased. "I just thought that... You're probably wondering why... " she paused to gather her thoughts. " I just don't like the  rain."

"Since when?" Noah asked skeptically.

"Since a while," she said unconvincingly.

"So you were that disturbed by it?"

" Look, I can't give you all the answers but I just want you to know that I am fine as well as grateful that you helped me out."

Noah scoffed. "wow, that's it, huh? That's all you're going to say?"

"What else do you want me to say? It's not like we are friends anymore, are we?" she snapped.

He stared at her for a second, his mind racing. "That is uncalled for. You know why I left. You know what being around you was doing to me. I had to leave for my own sanity, Rebecca."

She sighed, giving him an apologetic look." I know. I'm sorry. I just..."

"I may not have been around but I never forgot about you or our friendship. I never stopped caring. Or loving," he added. "I simply removed myself from your life to make things easier. I thought you'd be happier. But ever since the second I laid my eyes on you this morning, I sensed some... sadness. Like something's off. And after what happened earlier tonight, I am convinced something is wrong. So are you going to tell me or do I have to find out myself? " he concluded with his hands on his waist.

She took a deep, shaky breath.

Noah watched as she wiped her sweaty palms on her thighs and shifted her weight from one foot to another.