Chapter 24: Ivanka's Death

~5 months later~

With a steaming coffee mug in hand, Rebecca stared out of the apartment window, casually watching the people and traffic on the street 15 floors below. The view was different from that out of her old apartment's window, but she liked the change. A couple of months ago, instead of renewing her lease, she'd moved into Jordan's place. They were spending so much time together that it made sense.

It was Saturday, and while Jordan was away at the gym, she took some time to sort through her thoughts, plan her day out and most important of all, finalize Jordan's birthday plans for the next day. 

The invitations were sent, catering was taken care of and she'd even brought him some balloons. All that was remaining was to pick up his birthday cake from their favorite bakery down the street and to buy him a birthday gift.

She sucked at buying gifts though. It was her weakness every time birthdays and Christmas rolled around. He insisted that he didn't want anything, but she knew she had to get him a present.

Setting the mug down on the kitchen island, she walked into their bedroom with a mission. Did he have a worn out belt or a broken watch hiding away that she hadn't noticed before? 

"Nope," she said out loud, after searching through his drawers. "Come on, make this easy for me."

"Make what easy?"

Rebecca turned around to find Jordan at the bedroom door with a mischevious smile.

"I didn't hear you come in," she remarked.

"Didn't you hear? I'm training to be a ninja," he replied, walking closer to her.

"Mr. Ninja, I suggest you keep your sweaty body away from me." Making a faux-disgusted face, Rebecca jumped out of the way when he tried to hug her.

"Is that right?" He ran behind her and tackled her onto the bed.

"Ew! Get off," she laughed.

"Let me think," he paused and pretended to think. "Nah," he concluded, proceeding to bury his face in her neck. Her body shook with laughter as she wiggled under him. But he was relentless in making sure no part of her body was left untouched. A few minutes later he pulled away and shrugged. "Guess we're both going to have to shower now."

"Jordan, no. I have so much to do-"

"Do you mean to say you'll shower separately?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes."

"So you'd choose to waste water instead of just showering with me."

She narrowed her eyes. "Are you guilt-tripping me?"

"Hell yeah. Is it working?" he said, looking at her with hope.

She sighed dramatically. "Fine. But I'm only doing this to save natural resources."

"Of course. We all must make our contributions," he commented as he carried her in his arms, leaving her giggling all the way to the bathroom.

In the end, Rebecca decided to make a picture collage of their favorite memories with both their families. That is the kind of gift Jordan would really care about. Something personal and meaningful.

She'd introduced him to her parents a while back and they had loved him instantly, especially after seeing how amazing he was and just how much she liked him. She was happy to have her parent's blessing on their relationship and to know that his parents approved of her too.

Wiping the excess lipstick from the corner of her mouth, she turned away from the mirror and rushed to the door as it rang with the arrival of the first few guests. They had decided to invite around 20 people over, everyone was their close family and friends.