Chapter 17: Jordan's Girlfriend

Author's Note: Let's get to 40 votes this chapter, you guys! Thanks so very much for your showing your love for this story!

Leave a comment, I love reading your thoughts.

______________________________________________________

The couple walked in silence, in the cool New York City night. It was a little past midnight. People around them went in and out of restaurants and bars, laughing and chatting away. Some were in groups, while some walked alone. Rebecca took everything in, trying to find comfort in the fact that she walked with someone she liked, someone like Jordan.

He had her hand locked in his as they walked, with the other hand buried in his jacket pocket. They hadn't exchanged a word since they'd left Natalie's apartment. She wanted to speak with him, but her thoughts were way too tangled, influenced by her own hurt. It wasn't on purpose that her mind seemed to wonder back to Noah every few seconds. I hope this was a one off and that he'll never lose control with alcohol like that ever again, she prayed internally. He'd never acted like this before, not even back in college, she mused. Everything seemed fine, then what happened suddenly? She didn't have an answer.

"Are you ok?" Jordan asked, breaking the silence.

Rebecca turned to look at him. "Yeah," she nodded. But of course, it wasn't. They both knew it.

"You don't have to hide your feelings from me." He squeezed her hand, offering support. "What happened back there upset you..."

"It did. He's never..." she swallowed, stopping the tears. "You won't understand."

"Try me," he insisted.

"We've been friends for years. Not once has he gotten mad at me. Like, truly mad at me. He seemed angry tonight. And hurt. But I have no idea why. I feel like it came out of the blue. Everything was going perfect. I just...don't want to lose him, you know? He's my best friend..."

Her voice was heavy with emotions. Sensing her worry and confusion, Jordan stopped walking and tugged on her hand, making her stop as well.

She bit her lip and refused to see him as she turned to stand in front of him.

"Rebecca..." He tried hard to keep his own feelings at bay as he comforted her. The whole exchange had done nothing to improve his view of Noah. In fact, he was really struggling to connect what Rebecca seemed to think of him and the man he sees whenever he encounters him.

Perhaps Noah cared for Rebecca, Jordan thought. But he had the power to hurt her without even wanting to. And I can't watch her get hurt.

He ran his thumbs under her eyes. Holding her face in his hands, he smiled softly. Damn, I like her even when she's crying.

"You will figure things out with your friend. If your relationship is as strong as you say it is, then this is just a small hurdle you will overcome. But...I worry about you getting hurt in the process. Kind of like tonight. So, can you make me a promise?" he asked, looking sincere.

She nodded.

"If your friendship, or any relationship for that matter, brings you more pain than you can justify bearing, don't stay. No matter how much you love that person, walk away. Heal and let them heal as well. Can you promise me that?"

"You think Noah would....? He would never hurt me, Jordan. This was just a mistake." She got a little worked up. But her tone wasn't directed to Jordan, it was in response to the thought that Noah would ever harm her.

He shook his head and tilted her head upwards, to make sure she was looking at him. "I don't think anyone would ever hurt a woman as kind and caring as you. At least not intentionally. And definitely not Noah. I see that he cares about you. But sometimes we hurt people without wanting to. If that happens, I'm saying...asking you, to walk away."