1🦋

"Here in Hunterson, there are some rules that we have." The mayor started.

"There shall be no fighting. No killing. No crimes of any kind. Failure to comply will result in arrest and prosecution." Her wrinkled lips spoke into the many mics on the stand.

They give this speech every year and Stokeley had been unfortunate enough to sit through five of them.
He didn't have a choice to be honest, the government here knew about his past back in Florida, and made it a mandatory regulation for him to sit through these in person.

And then, he has to talk to the mayor, kiss her old ass and talk about how much of a good boy he'll be if he stays.

It was all bullshit honestly.

But his mind was elsewhere, thinking to when he saw those glowing red eyes in the forest near his home last night.

They seemed to peirce his soul, looking through him and seeing things of his past.

To be honest, it frightened him to no end.

He wanted to believe that it wasn't real, that he'd been hallucinating. But part of his mind wanted to make sure.

"Thank you all so much for coming. We hope to see you again soon." She spoke as she was escorted to the back with security. The meeting came to a close thank God. Every time he had to sit through these he thought he would end up going nuts.

He looked over to his left to see to federal agents looking directly at him, motioning for him to stand and walk with them.

This was the part he hated the most.

In the back of the old courthouse they were in, was a long corridor filled with many rooms. Stokeley had only been in one room, and that's the mayor's office. It was a small room, probably because she's not there all the time. She goes MIA quite often.

The taller of the two agents escorting him knocked on the door.

"Mrs. Hunterson. Goulbourne has arrived." He spoke. His voice sounding like gravel.

"Oh. Please come in." Her muffled voice came through the door.

They walked into the small office and Stokeley sat at the same chair he's sat in four times before. He scooted it up just a little before finally becoming settled near the medium size mahogany desk.

"Good afternoon Mr. Goulbourne. Glad to see you could make it." She started off.

"How have you been? Haven't seen you around town the last few months." She asked.

"You haven't? Oh wow, that's strange." He acted as if he was shocked, but he purposefully doesn't come on days he knows she'll be in town.

The facade he put up around these weird ass people in this weird ass town was an easy mask to cover up who he once was.

He hated being around the mayor. Everytime she talked to him, she would make it feel like she was analyzing him. Like he was in therapy. Like now.

The two guards were standing near the door, he's guessing it's so they can prevent his escape if he tries to run.

I'm too damn tired and fat to run anyway mf. He thought.

"So, how has hunterson been treating you?" She asked.

"It's been fine ma'am, I've been helping out at one of the many elderly homes you have in town. My pay has been fine. And I have enough money to last me til the next one."
He just wanted this over and done with. Her talking and questioning always got on his nerves.