Chapter Three: Reclaimer

Leaving the Grand Fairmont came as a real relief. I was actually grateful to be getting into the taxi and heading back to my apartment, but even as I settled into the cushiony leather seats of the cab and huddled beneath my black coat I hated myself.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? What the hell is wrong with me?

I managed to keep it together as I rode home, but even when I got there I felt that same cold dread deep inside me. I wasn't free of these men yet and I had committed myself to more than just paid casual sex. As I climbed the stairs towards 3C, I struggled against the tears of shame, trying not to think about my family and what they would think of me. Especially now.

My apartment was so cold as I entered, the room feeling as though it had been sealed against the ages until I unlocked it and came in. But that was just the feeling of entering a room that had been devoid of activity for a few hours.

I didn't waste any time, my self hate having to wait until my job was done. I had an hour to get ready before I made my way across town to where Evan Jackson's penthouse was located. Punishing myself would have to wait.

I stripped out of my dress and tossed it aside as I kicked off my heels. I didn't face my reflection in the windows, just walked straight to my dresser and opened it. I took out one set of my reclaimer clothing; clothes that felt the most comfortable and offered the best protection while I worked. A pair of dark blue-grey boot cut jeans, a purple shoe string singlet, and a dark grey, scoop necked t-shirt. I put these on, covering my slender, curvy white body, then added a pair of black socks and my boots. I crossed to the closet and took out a black jacket, zipping it up to my sternum, still showing the colours of the t-shirt and singlet underneath.

I turned to my reflection, hands on my hips, long hair hanging evenly around my face and shoulders, silver eyes blazing with determination. This girl I could cope with. Maybe she wasn't a hero or even a decent person, but she was definitely better than the whore in the red dress.

I grabbed a black satchel pack from the closet and picked up the notes Travis Garland had given me, along with some other gear I had. Sitting on the bed, I quickly flicked through the notes until I found the details that I needed. Using my speed reading ability, I was able to pick out all the appropriate details, and within two minutes I was ready to move. Though I wasn't happy about this. I should have been allowed to connect to Devlin and Cipher. A feeling that got worse as I saw the new email on my still open computer screen.

Ariel,

It's great to know you've come back after all these years. We've all missed you around here. So, I've got a couple clients linking to your profile for your basic line of work. I wish you'd just focus on what WE do. The other is so degrading to you. You should really come work at the bar. I'd pay better I'm sure.

Anyway, swing by and see me when you get the chance, and definitely BEFORE taking on any reclamation clients. Okay? You've got to check in with me first, kid. Also, go down to Cipher's Haven and say "hi". He's got some new stuff for you now that you're back, and you NEED your tech support on side if you're going to take on jobs. NEVER work alone. Cipher will always watch your back. We all will.

Hope to see you soon, Ariel. Welcome home.

Devlin.

"Fuck," I hissed and typed swiftly in response.

Hey, Devlin.

It's great to hear from you. So, small issue. I'm going to assume that the clients you're talking about are Miles and Travis Garland. Yeah, they hired me for BOTH my skill sets. I tried to talk them out of doing the reclamation tonight, but they wouldn't listen. I'm heading over to the apartment now. Please, try to get onto Cipher for me. I really don't want to do this and I know you'd say not to, but Garland threatened Cipher and I. And their deadline is tomorrow. The drop-off for the property is the National History Museum.