Amelia

Newt's POV
Little Amelia sat cooing softly in her mother's lap. Jeanne grabbed her little hands and Amelia wrapped her fingers around Jeanne's thumbs, gigging up at me.

I smiled at them. A mooncalf bounced over and nudged my leg then went to sniff my baby girl.

Amelia was getting rather big as she was approaching her first birthday.

Bunty, my hired creature keeper and babysitter, hustled into the room with a sack of mooncalf feed.

Upon seeing her I said "Oh no, Bunty, that's quite all right. I was just about to do that. You can leave early if you'd like."

She set down the sack of feed. Mooncalves sniffed around her curiously. "I can do it, Mr. Scamander," she insisted. "You go on and spend time with your family."

"Alright," I said, looking down at Jeanne and Amelia in the rocking chair.

Amelia reached her hand down to pet the little calf and it made a little chirp in contentment.

Jeanne gently stroked the little girl's dark hair and hummed a tune. Amelia's hair was beginning to lighten so it was no longer as dark as Jeanne's like when she was born. Her eyes were now a dark greenish-brown and her hair was coming in curly.

I walked over and kissed Amelia on the head then Jeanne on the cheek.

"I'll be off to the ministry soon," I said gently.

Jeanne looked up at me. "Your travel license?" she inquired.

I nodded.

Jeanne stood and set Amelia down on the floor to allow her to stumble around. It had been a difficult month trying to baby-proof a zoo after she had started walking.

She had little wings too, but no bigger that that of a swooping evil. They were feathered like Jeanne's, dark amber in color, and too small for her to fly just yet (thank Merlin).

Amelia's wings had grown in when she was about two months old.
When Jeanne had first awoken to the fresh growth of Amelia's wings, she had shrieked in excitement. But, as I was in the other room, I thought they were in danger. Boy, was that a scare. I was delighted once everything was explained afterwards.

"Alright," Jeanne said, straightening my bow tie.

Amelia began giggling profusely as a couple mooncalves surrounded her and began sniffing. She fell onto her bottom and began clapping. They licked her face, probably tasting some of her lunch still left on her cheeks.

Jeanne put her hands on her hips playfully and shook her head with a grin.

"Alright, alright," I said, shooing the calves away. Bunty called them over with the promise of food and they went over, gobbling it up happily.

I hoisted Amelia into the air and kissed her cheeks and neck until she giggled.

She mimicked my kissing noises and puckered lips. "Da!" she exclaimed.

"Yes, daddy's got to go out for a little while," I said, resting her on my hip. "Mummy will stay here with you, Amy."

I handed her back to Jeanne, gave them each a kiss once more, then went out and apparated to the Ministry of Magic building.

I had a meeting to attend.