Zouwu

Along the Seine, beneath the arching bridges of Paris was where the Gentleman lead us to. But a much less picturesque place than the one you may be imagining; he lead us to the sewers. 

I walked ahead of Jacob as we descended. We traversed through a boiler room, then down further next to running water. 

What first appeared to be a heap of clothes in the corner soon stood upright as the Gentleman cleared his throat. 

"Tina," I smiled. Jacob waved hello.

As I turned to look back at our entrance, the Gentleman had produced cell bars, blocking our exit. 

"No, wait!" I said, rushing over to the barricaded door.

"My apologies," said the Gentleman. "Mr. Scamander, I shall return and release you . . . once Creedence is dead."

"C'mon, wait," Tina pleaded.

"You see," the Gentleman continued, "either he dies, or I do . . ." His voice trailed off. "No, no, no," he mumbled. He began to grasp at his eye then sunk to the ground. Then, he lay motionless.

"Well, that's not the best start to a rescue attempt," I murmured. 

"Oh, this was a rescue attempt?" Tina asked, now walking away from the bars. "You just lost me my only lead."

"Well, how was the investigation going before we turned up?" I asked quietly

The cell door swung open, Pickett sitting on the keyhole. Jacob laughed at my Bowtruckle's feat. "Newt!" he called, seeing the Gentleman was still unmoving. 

"Well done, Pick," I said, taking my Bowtruckle back and placing him in my pocket

I leaned down to inspect the body. "So, you need this man, you said?" I asked Tina.

"I think he knows where Creedence is, Mr. Scamander," she said with deadly calmness.

A guttural roar sounded from the streets above us.

"Well, that'll be that Zouwu," I said.

~~~

Jeanne's POV

It was now dusk.

With Amelia on my hip, I began making my way back to the statue that lead to the Paris version of Diagon Alley. 

An immense cry of a beast echoed two streets over.

"Newt . . ." I scolded. 

By the sound of building facades being ripped off and hitting the ground, I could tell it was a large beast; much too large to be any one of Newt's. I wouldn't let him keep anything larger than the Kelpie under the flat unless absolutely necessary. 

I began making my way towards the sounds of destruction. Newt would surely be over there.

"Newt, get outta there!" called a familiar voice. It was Jacob, running for cover. 

Newt placed his case down in front of the beast. It roared at his small stature.

He produced a little cat toy from behind his back

He produced a little cat toy from behind his back. The beast calmed, its eyes trained on the little bell and feathers Newt held on a stick.

My jaw dropped.

Wizards and Muggles looked on at the sight. 

Newt simply dropped the cat toy into his open case and the beast followed, disappearing into the endless space. The case latched itself and the beast was gone.

People began to emerge from behind cars and buildings, whispering in amazement. I saw Tina amongst the crowd; they had found her.

Newt noticed me standing aside and holding Amelia. "Jeanne!" He rushed over.

"I'm glad I gave you your case to hold onto," I laughed.

Newt kissed my cheek softly and pulled me into a tight hug. I could sense he had been worried. "Are you alright?" He took my face in his calloused hands, looking me over. 

"Yes, of course, love," I said, smiling softly. "We're both just fine." 

"Good," Newt said, kissing Amy's forehead, "because we've got to go."

And with that, he took my hand and we Apparated.