The Card

"Pureblood or not," Dumbledore continued. "I know this: an Obscurus grows in the absence of love—as a dark twin, an only friend. If Creedence has a real brother or sister out there that could take his place. . . he might yet be saved."

He paused for a moment then went on.

"Wherever Creedence is in Paris, he's either in danger or a danger to others. We may not know who he is yet, but he needs to be found . . . And I rather hope you might be the one to find him."

Dumbledore produced a card with a glowing symbol from his jacket sleeve like a muggle magician.

"What's that?" I asked.

"An address," the professor answered simply. "Of a very old acquaintance of mine. A safe-house in Paris, reinforced with enchantments."

"Safe-house? Why would I need a safe-house in Paris?"

"Oh, I hope you won't but should things go terribly wrong in any way, it's good to have a place to go for, you know, a cup of tea."

"No—" I began as Dumbledore stood. A muggle was about to enter the parked bus we sat on. "No, no, no. Absolutely not."

Dumbledore had Apparated so I went after him.

"Because I'm banned from international travel, Dumbledore. If I leave the country, they will put me in Azkaban and they'll throw away the key. I have a wife, sir! A child too!"

"Do you know why I admire you, Newt?" the professor asked calmly.

"What?" His question had been rather off topic.

"More, perhaps, than any man I know," continued Dumbledore. He looked at me intently. "You do not seek power," the professor explained. "Or popularity. You simply ask: is a thing right, in itself? And if it is you do it no matter the cost."

He turned and began walking across the bridge.

"That's all very well, Dumbledore," I began. "But forgive me for asking, why can't you go?"

The professor stopped walking, still faced away from me. He finally looked; his eyes facing down. "I cannot move against Grindelwald." Dumbledore paused. "It has to be you."

I didn't respond but shuffled my feet awkwardly.

"Well, I can't blame you," the professor continued. "In your shoes, I'd probably refuse too." He plucked the golden card from my hand. "It's late. Good evening, Newt." He turned and Apparated.

"What? Wait, no!" Dumbledore was gone. "Oh, come on," I mumbled to myself. The nerve of that man sometimes . . . His gloved hand appeared once more, waving the golden card temptingly. It floated along then placed the card into my jacket pocket and gave it a pat.

Picket, my Bowtruckle, popped up from said coat pocket, confused as to why a card had just invaded his space.

"Dumbledore—" I groaned. The hand was gone.

~~~

As I reached me and Jeanne's flat, the living room light could be seen flashing on and off behind the curtains.

I opened the front door and stalked inside slowly.

It was only one of the baby nifflers, bouncing on the shiny lamp chain. The chain pulled off the lamp, the tiny creature went with it, settling to shove the gold chain into his pouch. Upon me catching him in the act, he ran off.

I heard clanging from the kitchen. Another niffler pup was rolling on the balance and shoving silver weights into its pouch. I huffed and put a put over the top of one scuttling across the dinner table. I grabbed the one off the balance and put her in my pocket, then the one off the dinner table.

The final pup was toying with the shiny cork in a champagne bottle. The cork popped and suddenly, the little creature was sailing across the room.

"Bunty!" I called down the stairwell. "Bunty?" No response. "Bunty, the baby nifflers are loose again.

"So sorry, Mr. Scamander," she said, plucking up the last pup who was wrestling with the champagne cork.

I placed the ones I had caught into her arms for her to lock up.

"I've fed nearly everyone," said Bunty. "Pinky's had his nose drops—"

"And Alcie?" I asked.

"And Alcie's droppings are nearly normal again."

"Wonderful," I responded. "You can, erm—you can clock off now." I looked down at her scratched up fingers. "You can leave the Kelpie to me."

"But—"

"I don't want you losing fingers over it."

We marched down to the kelpie pool. I pulled off my blue coat and Bunty took it from me.

I was just about to leap into the pool when "Da!" called a little voice. A hand tugged at the end of my trouser's.

"Hello, Amy," I greeted with a smile.