Blue Flame

Newt's POV
"They have killed many of my followers," Grindelwald continued. "It is true. They confined me, and tortured me in New York. They struck down the fellow witches and wizards for the simple crime of seeking truth: for wanting freedom . . . Your anger, your desire for revenge is natural."

A witch standing closer to the front pulled her wand on an Auror on the stairs.

He immediately fired a spell back: the killing curse.

She fell to the ground.

Chaos ensued in the theatre as the Auror who had killed the witch ran back up the stairs.

"No!" Grindelwald stopped the crowd. The wizards became quiet once more. He moved up the stairs to the witch's row where she lay unmoving.

"Take this young woman back to her family," Grindelwald said softly as he caressed her hair.

He stood and trudged up the stairs further. "Disapparate. Leave," he ordered. "Go forth from this place and spread the word; it is not we who are violent."

The people around me began to Disapparate. The theatre was soon nearly empty. Those left were me and Jeanne, Queenie and Jacob, Leta and Theseus, Creedence and an unknown woman, as well as Tina and the other Aurors staring down Grindelwald.

In a grandiose display of magic, Grindelwald turned a circle, creating a circle of blue fire around himself.

Some witches and wizards leftover from the meeting pushed through the flames unscathed. As one man entered, he burned.

"Aurors," Grindelwald called to the top of the theatre. "Join me in this circle. Pledge to me your eternal allegiance or die. Only here shall you know freedom, only here shall you know yourself.

The flames suddenly swelled higher, up the rows of seats, and after the Aurors.

"Play by the rules!" Grindelwald yelled. "No cheating, children!"

As the blue flames hit some of the Aurors, they dissipated into ash.

Creedence and the unknown woman with him moved towards the blue circle.

"Creedence!" I called out to him. Blue flames blocked my path. I held a counterspell, barely keeping them at bay. As Creedence passed through the flames, I was knocked back by them and into Jeanne's arms.

"It's no use now," Jeanne whispered in my ear. "He's already got a hold of him."

I stood and attempted to get rid of the flames, but the magic was strong.

Grindelwald embraced Creedence and the boy disapparated.

"Queenie, don't do it!" I heard Jacob yell.

Jeanne and I turned to look only to see our friend passing through the blue flames to join Grindelwald in the circle.

"Queenie!" Tina now realized.

The flames were growing ever higher as Grindelwald used his wand like a conductor's baton.

My brother Theseus made his way down the stairs to where Jeanne and I were standing.

"Mr. Scamander," Grindelwald called up to me. "Do you think Dumbledore will mourn for you?" In a whip of his arm, he threw the blue fire towards Theseus and me.

Jeanne had jumped out of the way in a nick of time leaving me and my brother to hold back the fire.

"Grindelwald, stop!" called a voice. Leta Lestrange was making her way down the stairs.

Thankfully, the flame stopped.

"Leta?" Theseus said. He began pushing towards her, fighting the blue fire as he went. She continued down the stairs towards the circle.

"This one I believe I know," said Grindelwald. "Leta Lestrange: despised entirely amongst wizards, unloved, mistreated, yet brave, so very brave."

Grindelwald had left his circle to meet her on the steps.

"Time to come home," he said, offering her a hand.

Leta took it as Grindelwald started down the stairs once more, leaving her behind

Leta turned to Theseus who stood next to me and Jeanne at the top of the theatre.

"I love you," she said. Then, she fired a spell at Grindelwald. It was easily blocked. Leta fired another spell and the circle was destroyed, being held only by her spell.

"Go!" she yelled to us.

Theseus began fighting against the forcefield of blue magic.

In an instant, Leta dissipated into ash.

I grabbed Theseus and Jeanne by the arms and disapparated.