Chapter 25 - Hunter and hunted

It was about midnight, but Kate was no closer to finding her godfather. She was seeing many interesting things on her way: a small patch of red plants which were resonating when she was running through them, a tree that was springing fresh water from its huge blossoms, refreshing many colorful birds, even a big squirrel that was able glide while carrying its babies on its back. But she was doing her best to not get distracted again. She would have enough time to explore when she'd resolve the situation. Or she hoped to.

After two hours, she found many things, but not the one she was looking for. Unlike Verilion's meadow or Lerinth's woods, which were pretty much the same everywhere in the domain, this forest was changing with every step. She lay down by a tree, whose blue blossoms were giving out a cold glow around it, depressed. How hard could it be to find a forest fire so big you could see the smoke from afar? There were no landmarks, she couldn't see or smell the smoke and Tawarthion could be anywhere.

A branch cracked behind the tree. Kate was startled by it and leaned against the tree. It was probably just an animal, but for some reason, she was suddenly feeling very uneasy. She was afraid to look behind the tree, so she connected with the ground to see what was there. Everything was a bit mushy because of the moss carpet, but when she concentrated hard enough, she could feel two feet touching the ground behind the tree: a human.

Kate could feel her heart racing. This was the first time she encountered a human alone. Sure, what could she expect, but still, should she run away or face him? She almost decided for the latter, but then she heard another suspicious rustle, to her left.

She looked that way through the earth and saw another movement. That scared her even more. She mustered some energy and released it into the ground in a wide pulse, which gave her an omnidirectional picture of her surroundings. Thanks to that, she immediately knew she was surrounded by several humans. The bright flash of her gem probably startled one of them, as she could hear a suffocated scream.

That was it. She remembered the only opening she saw between the closing men and ran through it, out of the trap. She could hear some heavy noises how the men were trying to retaliate and organize. That gave her a small head start, but soon, they were after her.

Kate had to think fast. She was afraid to stop and face them, because she didn't know what humans were capable of. She reached a small pond and she could still hear heavy stomps behind her. She remembered Verilon's wisdom once again: "Create mud from water and earth to slow your enemies."

That was just what she needed. She quickly pulled a large water bubble from the pond and soaked the ground behind her with it. Then she quickly jumped over the pond and just in time to escape. She heard some swears and shouts for help, as some of the men fell into the muddy pit she created. She ran away and hid in a bush as best as she could to rest.

That was terrifying. She didn't know why they were chasing her, but surely, it wasn't for anything good. She was trying to calm herself down. Maybe she could track the humans to the origin of the fire. When she felt better, she left the berry bushes to return to the place where she found them. But as soon as she crawled out, a net landed on her.

A man ran out of hiding and grabbed the net with pinned down Kate and quickly tied it. Kate was in a shock for a moment and didn't have time to resist. It was so unexpected for her that she just cried out. The man picked her up and ran to the others, who got out of the mud by this time.

"Ew, look at me, I have that mud all over myself, weren't you looking where you were going?" asked one man another angrily.

"You should've gone around and flank! It's not my problem you're an idiot," he shouted back. The two pale men almost got into a fight.

Meanwhile, Kate was trying to get out of the net. It was too thick to chomp through and she was afraid to use fire to burn it away, given how much she was swinging, she could easily burn herself or set fire to anything around her.

"Guys, stop it and come over here!" shouted the man holding her.

"Look, I got the cat!" he said. The other men looked at him. „Now let's go!"

They gathered around him.

"Look at that blue pelt! These forests have really something to offer."

"And what is that jewel? How did something like that end up on a cat?"

Kate was confused. What good was her pelt to them? One man reached through the net and attempted to take her gem. There was no way she was letting it be taken away. As he put his hand close enough, she bit him.

"Ow, you little..." he shouted.

"Stop it, there will be plenty of time for that later, now we have to go before something shows up," said one man, keeping his distance.

"What, are you afraid of goblins?"

"Of course not, but there might be a... predator, or something." It didn't sound very persuading.

"I know what you are scared of, the so-called protector of this forest, who will punish everyone who hunts here! Do you really believe in those fairy tales?" asked the man ironically.

"You should all believe in them!!!"

Bright shine covered the area. They all looked the way from where the thundering voice was coming from. There, in between the trees, the great stag was standing, with his eyes ablaze.

Just by the sight, Tawarthion was furious. Like Lerinth's and Kate's before, his markings were burning, and his gem was shining in brilliant white. The men took a step back and the one holding Kate dropped the net.

Several long and thick vines emerged from the ground around the Guardian and then buried back. Two of them showed up next to one man and slashed him, knocking him over and completely pinning him to the ground. Other humans ran away in random directions. But there was no way Tawarthion was letting them escape.

Trees around them came to life at his command. One swung its branch and knocked two men back. One of them was caught in midair by a vine and pulled down with force, becoming buried into the earth. The same happened to the pinned down man, as the two vines entombed him underground. Roots of one tree knocked another man over on purpose and again, the screaming human was pulled into the soil. One human was able to dodge the swinging trees, but a very strange bear blocked his escape. Several other animals Kate had never seen before emerged from the forest and formed a closing circle around the remaining humans, obviously being commanded by the Guardian. Then, the vines dug up from the ground around the men, obscuring the view. When they retracted back into the earth, the humans were gone.

The animals lost the threatening stance and left. Tawarthion went to Kate, who was still tied in the net. His crystal flashed, and two smaller vines went out of the earth and through the net, and then tore it apart. He was looking at her like at an incompetent child.

"Haven't I told you to stay in your forest? Haven't I said you must protect it and not follow me?"

He was staring at her for a moment. Suddenly, he bent his head down to her and their foreheads touched.

"I'm so glad to see you again."