Chapter 55 - Power to change the world

The deep voice seemed to be coming from all directions at once.

"Who are you?" shouted Kate. She was feeling like she was floating through nothingness.

"I am everything," the voice replied. It was loud and clear, echoing like in a cave.

"You are the Crystal of the World?" she shouted again.

"Yes," the voice replied. "And you are the one Guardian I did not choose."

"I'm Kate! My mother, Andúril, was the Guardian of Elements before me." She was looking around herself for something tangible to speak to, but there was only darkness in all directions.

"Yes, the Guardian's child."

The darkness vanished. Kate found herself standing back in her home in the valley. Everything was blurry, like a dream. She couldn't move, but she could clearly see Andúril, sleeping on the meadow, in front of the pond.

The picture disappeared as quickly as it materialized, leaving darkness to take its place again.

"I know why you are here," said the voice.

This time, Kate appeared standing on the cliff that used to be the Guardians' meeting place. It was night and all the Guardians were there, looking to the peak of the cliff, where Raya was standing, creating a dark cloud of corruption over the village below. Everything was frozen in time.

"You wish to make things right. For that purpose, you have resurrected me."

"I just want to undo Raya's mistake," shouted Kate.

The image vanished again.

"Yes. Your heart is pure, your mind is focused and your deeds over the time proved your dedication. I shall help you."

Images began changing rapidly in front of Kate. But she wasn't confused. Every single one had a meaning that she could understand.

Them, on their way to humans' settlement in Raya's domain, Eriana saying: "Time heals all wounds."

Her, waiting for Morcion and Eriana to get through the field of frozen statues in the mountains that she had created, then saying: "Mother, if you're here, we need Lerinth's help."

Her, standing on the clearing of Eriana's home, Arneia sitting on the stone and reaching towards her, saying: "Oh, hello, little kitty. Have I summoned you with my flute?"

Her and Tawarthion, standing on the hill above the burned down valley that she just extinguished, Tawarthion saying: "Do you remember what I told you when I left? That when you'll become as strong as your mother, I will be standing by your side."

Her and Lerinth, standing under the Tree of Spirits, her saying: "I didn't know my mother. You did. You could help me become who she was."

Her and Verilion, standing on the monument in his sanctuary, saying: "You're clever, like your mother was. You only have to learn to exploit that trait."

And her and Tawarthion, standing above the ruined village in her forest, him saying: "And today, it's exactly five years since our very special meeting. It was then, when the Guardian of Elements told us she was about to have a child. Her name was Andúril and she was your mother."

And that day was the moment Kate was looking for.

All six Guardians were staring at Kate, who was hanging in midair, her body burning with slow white flames and the big white gem, hanging from her collar, bright with shine of a thousand stars. And then, she gave out a disc explosion. A circle of white light shot out horizontally from her in all directions, but stopped almost immediately and split, running up and down. Behind it, the blue stone of the tower that was being restored in time appeared.