1

Tristin POV

"Yes Mama, I hear you," I rolled my eyes and sighed listening to everything she was telling me. She was like a broken toy on repeat. I my phone on speaker and set it down beside me on the table and continued my work as I multitasked, trying to at least get some work done while my mother chewed my ears off.

"You not listening baby. You're not getting any younger. You are still so beautiful, but soon 27 is gonna turn into 30. All you do is work and put that job of your first." My mom replied. I sighed and shook my head.

"Okay mom, I get it. It's not as simple as you put it. I'm not focused on that right now, my career is taking off and that's all that matters. You should be proud of that." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. But I was beyond annoyed.

My mother was my best friend and meant the world to me. She was my everything, my dad and mom in one. My father passed away when I was 14 years old and ever since then she's done everything in her power to raise my brother and I the right way.

Because of my mom's struggles, I promised myself when I graduated from high school that I would work my ass off to give her everything that she could have and more.

The thing about my mother is that she wasn't materialistic. You can buy her anything but she would rather spend time with family, thats what was important to her; my happiness was important to her.

"Baby, I'm being serious. I want you to stop stressing, Go out and meet someone, you could potentially fall in love, start a fa-"

"Ma, we talked about this." I cut her off. I bit my lip. "As soon as I find someone, you'll be the first to know. And in fact what makes you think that I need a man to be happy?" I laughed and began flipping through the pile of cases on my desk.

"Habla por ti mismo. I need me some grand babies.." My mother laughed. I chuckled and leaned back in my chair.

"You will get some grandbabies ma. At the rate Derrick is going at, you probably have six grand babies somewhere you don't know." I said referring to my older brother Derrick. He was something else. If my mother really wanted grand babies, she should go after him and just might find one.

Derrick is a whole different story.

There was a brief knock on my door and I looked up.

"Hold on ma," I paused. "Come in!" I yelled. I set my phone down on my desk and watched as my partner Levi casually walked in, with a manilla folder in his hands.

"Oh sorry, this a bad time?" He asked

"Oh sorry, this a bad time?" He asked. I shook my head no.

"Okay well here's the file you wanted on McCorman. It's proof that he was here the night his wife was killed, in fact the GPS on his phone postmarked that he was there in-between the time she was killed." Levi explained to me as I flipped through the file.