8 - No Magic?

You sit in class, of course Defense Against the Dark Arts, which has proven to be a rather....dramatic course in previous years. As the desks are all wide, two people sit at each. You are seated next to Harry, with Draco at the desk to your left. To your right sit Ron and Hermione, Ron grinning as you fold a piece of paper elegantly. You pull out your spiraled white wand, tapping it to the paper. It glows for a moment, then the origami bird begins to fly across the room.

First, it flutters over to Malfoy, hovering in front of his face. The beak of the bird nuzzles into his nose, an eskimo kiss of sorts. Its flies away, and you smile at Draco who rolls his eyes as if embarassed. Of course the prideful boy would do so, but you see him smiling as he turns away. The paper floats around the room, people either blowing it to increase its elevation or swatting at it for a jolly joke. You grin as it circles back to the front of the room; everyone winces.

The bird is shot down, burning up with an inflammatory spell. It turns to ash on the front desk, where two girls stare at it sadly. Everyone looks to the blackboard, seeing Professor Dolores Umbridge smiling. It isnt a kind grin. If anything, its a grimace. She turns, picking up a parcel of chalk and scrapping it against the green board. Once again, she wears everything pink, from her large blazer to her dress and heels. Her hair is once again curled up to her ears, as if reaching to escape her scalp.

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls." She writes out the acronym on the board. "More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?"

As she was speaking, everyone flipped through the pages of the books that were on your desks. Hermione glares at the pages, something you have never seen her do before.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells." She says, looking up at the teacher. Dolores gives her a look of expectant surprise. As if she was waiting to answer a question like that.

"Using spells? Well I cant imagine why you would need to use spells in this classroom." You feel the built up rage in you creeping towards your throat. Your unprecidented anger, which you have had since the final trial in last years tournament, slips your mouth.

"You realize this is a school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, correct, professor?" You hear Harry snicker as you smirk at the pink lady. She pulls her thin lips tight, responding in a 'polite' voice.

"You'll be learning about magic in a risk-free way." You laugh at her ridiculous statement, raising an unamused eyebrow.

"What use is that?" Your brother asks. Your desk seems to be that of attention. "If we're attacked, it wont be risk free."

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." She spits, glancing between you and Potter. You see Draco giving you a wary glance from your peripheral vision. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations. Which, after all, is what school is all about."

"How is theory supposed to prepare us for whats out there?" Harry asks, pushing the teacher. Your (s/c) fist curls on your oak desk as she answers.

"There is nothing out there. Who do you imagine would want to hurt children like yourself?"

"Oh, I dont know." You growl, feeling your (e/c) eyes glow like the sun. "Perhaps Lord Voldemort."

At your words, Professor Umbridge stiffens. She grips her wand tightly, and many students begin to murmur nervously.