sparks

"God, I literally cannot figure out what the hell I'm doing," you muttered, mostly to yourself

Your teacher happened to be walking by your table at that moment, though and paused. "You need some help, Y/N?"

Letting out a sigh, you nodded in defeat, resting your elbows on the table, your head in your hands, "Yes, please."

"Okay, well," your teacher started, "I'm on my way to help Josh with something, but I could ask Peter to help you out? He always knows what he's doing." You could feel your face getting hot when Peter was brought up, but you nodded anyways. You had a crush on Peter, but you would never admit that to him.

Minutes later, Peter was standing next to your table, his fingers tapping against the tabletop somewhat nervously, "Heard you need some help?"

Nodding, you lifted your head and let out another sigh, "I literally have no clue what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated, really." Peter let out a loud laugh, which made you smile a little. Though you weren't really friends with Peter or anything, you knew that he wasn't the most confident guy. But, in the lab, that all changed; he knew what he was doing, and he was always so sure of himself.

"Okay, I can help," he said as his shoulder bumped yours again. You took the hint and scooted over a little to make room for him. He reached for the safety goggles (which you had failed to put on when class started) that were sitting on your table and picked them up, "First things first, you need to put these on, Y/N." He pulled the strap on the goggles to stretch it out and helped you slip the goggles into place over your eyes. Peter pulled his own back into place and looked at you, "Okay, so, what were you trying to do?"

His name came out of your mouth as a laugh, "Peter, I genuinely don't know. I was kinda just sitting here, pretending I knew what was going on."

Peter looked over what you had already done, and his face scrunched up, "I'm gonna be honest, Y/N, I have no idea what you think you're doing with all this." You laughed, but groaned at the same time, trying to hide your face in your hands. "But, hey! It's okay! Here's what I would try..." he trailed off, picking up a few of the tools sitting on the table.

The next few minutes were spent with Peter trying to show you how to build your project. He took the time to explain everything he was doing, and paused several times, just to make sure that you understood. It was becoming clear that Peter really wanted you to get it - he even wrapped his hands around yours to show you how to do everything correctly. The moment his hands touched yours, you swore that your heart stopped; if his arms hadn't been around you, you definitely would've passed out on the floor right then and there.

After a few minutes of trying to fiddling around with your project, and trying to teach you, he set everything down and tested it out. The both of you waited for a few seconds, but nothing happened. Peter let out a groan, but you laughed, "Pete, I thought you knew what you were doing!"

He scoffed, rolling his eyes, "I do! Honestly, most of the time, it's just trial and error. We'll get it!!"

By the end of the class period, there had been no progress made. Peter did his best to help you, but it didn't help him that he was so easy to talk to. You distracted him effortlessly by asking him questions about himself and teasing him the entire time. You'd never really talked to him before, but by the end of class, it was as if you'd been best friends for years. As you were packing up, and slinging your bag onto your shoulder, Peter said that he'd help you in class the next day, promising to help you figure it out.

The next day when you walked into class, Peter was already sitting at your spot, with an array of things spread out over the table. Dropping your backpack onto the floor, you sat down in the extra chair that Peter had brought over. He didn't really seem to notice you as he scribbled something quickly in his notebook that was sitting in front of him on the table. You tried to read what he had written from where you were sitting, but you couldn't make out what he'd written in his messy handwriting. Without looking up from the notebook, Peter spoke up, "Hey, Y/N. I think I got this figured out."

You didn't realize that he knew you were there, so you were the one to jump a little when he spoke. Leaning in closer to him, you bumped your shoulder against his gently, "Yeah?"

His response was a short breath out, "Yeah."

You waited a moment for him to say more, but nothing followed. "So, like... are you gonna show me? Or what?"

"I will," Peter started, finally lifting his gaze up to you, "if you put the safety goggles on."

He was giving you a warm smile that seemed a bit teasing, and you wanted nothing more than to kiss him on his lips at that moment. Feeling a surge of confidence, you tilted your head to the side with your hand on your hip, "Ugh I hate those. So... I'll only put them on if you help me like you did yesterday."

Peter's cheeks flushed pink, and his smile faltered for a second, causing you to wonder if you'd pushed it too far. But then, after a moment, Peter picked up the goggles and grabbed your hand in his free one to pull you in closer. You held your breath as Peter slipped the goggles on, adjusting them into place on your face. Once the goggles were in place, neither of you moved for a few moments, and you could feel your heart practically beating out of your chest. You'd spent all night trying to convince yourself that your crush on Peter was nothing, but apparently, you hadn't been convincing enough.

Without saying anything, you pulled back to reach for Peter's goggles, which were sitting on the table. Grabbing his arm gently and pulling him back in closer, you leaned up a little to put his goggles on his face. He gave you a smile that made your heart skip a beat, and you had to shake your head to think clearly again. "So, uh," your voice was a little shaky, but you tried your best to pretend you weren't bothered, "will you show me now?"

"Mhm, here, let's just..." Peter moved as he spoke, now standing behind you and leaning over you slightly. He picked up what you needed, and then wrapped his hand around yours to help just like he had done the day before.

He started showing you what to do, when all of a sudden, sparks came flying at you from your project, causing you to jump back - straight into Peter's chest. Peter let out a loud oof! as your back hit his chest, but he caught you. The boy didn't look it, but he certainly was strong. Your face immediately got hot in embarrassment as you turned around in Peter's arms, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Peter, I-"

To your surprise, he had a huge smile on his face and started laughing so hard that he was crying. Between gasps for air, he managed to get out, "That was not supposed to happen." Though you were kind of mortified, his reaction made you laugh too, and soon the both of you were a heap on the floor, not being able to control the laughter. It took your teacher yelling at you for you to get back to work, but by the end of class, your project was finished and was no longer malfunctioning.

When class was over, Peter followed you out of the classroom, walking side by side down the hall. The confidence he had in the lab had diminished slightly, and he was now pulling at the sleeves of his sweater, his bottom lip between his teeth. You stopped walking and gave his arm a light tug, pulling him to the side of the hall, "Are you okay, Peter?"

Laughing nervously, he nodded, giving you that heart-warming smile of his, "Yeah, I just- um- do you think that you'd want to, like, hang out sometime? I had a good time working with you."

You nodded quickly, a huge smile taking up your face, "I had a lot of fun, too. I'd love to spend more time with you, Peter." The look of relief on his face was evident, and he was about to say something else, but you leaned up on your toes, pressing a quick peck to his cheek, "Gotta go to class, I'll see you later!" You didn't have to turn around as you walked down the hall to your next class to know that you'd left him there, frozen in his spot with a stupid look on his face.