an interview with spider-man - 1

Living in New York was always quite the experience

Living in New York was always quite the experience. If aliens weren't coming to invade earth, or if superheroes weren't saving the day, there was always something going on. So, it wasn't a huge surprise to you when you happened to see a figure swinging across the skyline above you as you made your way home from school. You knew instantly that it was the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, so you scrambled to get your phone out of your pocket to take a video of the masked hero. Spider-Man was a huge hit at your school, especially after he saved a bunch of students on that trip to DC. There was constant speculation about who the hero could be, as many people seemed to think that he was young enough to be in high school. You weren't so sure about that, but you were definitely intrigued, so you quickly started recording as you followed after him.

Trying to be as stealthy as you could, you followed Spider-Man for a few streets. It didn't seem like he was doing in anything particular - it was like he was waiting for a call, waiting for something, anything to happen. He didn't seem to notice you, though. At least, that's what you thought until he disappeared from your sight, causing you to look around for him.

"Are you following me?" a voice came suddenly from behind you, and up in the air. You weren't expecting it, and the sudden voice made you jump, whipping around as you looked for the source of the voice. About half-way up one of the buildings in the alley was none other than Spider-Man himself, clinging to the side of the building. Your heart started beating faster, and your jaw dropped, having been caught in the act of following him around. Before you could say anything to defend yourself, he landed on the ground in front of you.

The camera on your phone was still recording as you jumped back. "I- uh, I mean- yeah I guess, I just-" you stumbled over your words as you tried to make up an excuse, but nothing was coming to you. It wasn't possible with a superhero standing right in front of you.

A laugh came from underneath the mask, and just like everyone had predicted, it sounded quite boyish. When he spoke, though, his voice didn't match, as if was purposely making his voice sound lower, "Hey, no worries! I get it. Were you taking a video?" The fake, lower voice sounded stupid, but quite honestly, it was kind of endearing. Still at a loss for words, you nodded your head, lifting your phone up slightly. "Okay, well... want an interview? You can ask me anything ya want."

"Oh, wow..." you breathed out, "seriously? That'd be amazing."

"Yeah, for sure. Fire away," he said, nodding his head quickly with a laugh.

Though you weren't at all prepared for this - and you certainly weren't a journalist or anything of the like - you weren't about to pass up an opportunity that very few people ever got. Fumbling with your phone, you stopped the video that was still recording, and started a new one, lifting it up so Spider-Man was in frame. "So," you started, "how'd you end up being Spider-Man?"

Another boyish laugh was the response, "You would not believe me if I told you."

"Try me."