Ghost powers

Sketch-A ghost story of a "common"
ghost powers

By Inkygalaxycat

"Like this?" She asked showing Frostbite a red ball of ectoplasm, she learnt a few days ago the mostly everything was made up of this stuff.
"Very good young one! Now launch it into the air." Frostbite cheered her on with a demonstration with a blue ball of ectoplasm. It flew up into the air and exploded above the roof tops, in the arena. The ectoplasm then rained down slowly as snow.
She wondered why there was a color difference to the ectoplasm but never voiced it. It was something she figured she'll find out later.
She chucked the red ball into the air only for it to fizzle out of existence. Frostbite observed her and the ball with interest.
She huffed annoyed and concentrated on making another ball of ectoplasm in her hands.
"Nice try young one!" Frostbite complemented.
"But it didn't even get above your hight before dying!" She whined.
"But Sketch, you need to remember you have only just formed it took me a while before I got a hang of my powers and they are still growing! One never stops improving till they end." Frostbite responded.
"It's been weeks though... and I can barely make a ball." She sighed as the ball of red ectoplasm disappeared in her hands. She still wanted to make her hands disappear. She didn't like the scared skin they had. Just like the ball she failed to make. She wanted them invisible and not there.
"All great things come with time young one." Frostbite said to her with a smile of jagger teeth.
She nodded smiling under her bandana, it always seem to show in her eyes though.
"You always say that." She giggled.
"It's true is it not?" Frostbite jokingly asked. She just smiled in response with a nod.
She heard the crunch of the snow in the distance and looked around. Hoarfrost was walking towards them.
"Hoarfrost! Hello!" She yelled in greeting. Hoarfrost laughed and waved getting closer to the two.
"Hello my king, young one." Hoarfrost greeted giving Frostbite a small bow in respect.
"Hoarfrost, how is was patrol?" Frostbite asked Hoarfrost with a hint of seriousness.
"We met another another ghost calling them self an ancient my king." Hoarfrost whispered leading Frostbite away from her a bit.
It must be a private conversation.
"Did they give a name or title?" Frostbite questioned placing a hand on Hoarfrost's shoulder.
Hoarfrost nodes twice. "They said they are Death the Master of endings and death."
Frostbite gained a worried look and nodded.
"This is curious indeed. Why would Death come here?" Frostbite pondered with a thinking look. "Welcome Death into the dinning hall and clear the area out, we do not want Death to feel unwelcome and threatened. Tell Death I'll be there later."
"Yes my king." Hoarfrost said with a bow before walking away.
Frostbite walked back over to her and smiled.
"Now." Frostbite said with a loud clap. "Where were we?"

It soon became a regular thing for her and one of the Farfrozen, usually Frostbite, to go the the arena and train her powers every day, then afterwards she would go to he room she was given and draw. She had yet to discover what her obsession was so she could use the power/s that was connected to her obsession.
She loved it when they introduced her to flying, she had so much fun with that one and felt free. At first flying was hard but she got a hang of it fast, faster then any of the other abilities she had so far. She also found there was nothing that could be better then flying besides drawing and sketching.
Turning invisible was hard, she could do part of it like a hand or a foot but not her whole body like the other ghosts could do, but, she was content with just having her hands turn invisible. She finally didn't have to look at the scared and damaged hands...
Intangibility was interesting to do. It felt weird and a bit scary. She would get a tingling feeling in the first few hundred times she managed to get something intangible.
When she had gained full control over turning intangible the Farfrozen soon regretted teaching her how to fly and turn invisible and intangible. She used those three powers to her full advantage. She played games of tag, flying then would tag someone and turn invisible and intangible, hiding. Some would try to chase her down in fun luckily. She liked it when they had joined in her game. She would only come out from her hiding place when Frostbite or Hoarfrost came to get her. It was quite scary when they got mad...
She learnt that the hard way.
Frostbite ended up freezing her feet to the ground with some ether very lucky shots or well skilled aim the first few times, after that she came out of hiding as soon as she could.
Hoarfrost... well she learnt never let Hoarfrost get angry. She was still finding ice in her clothing and oddly shaded green hair because of it.
Using the ectoplasmic attacks was even harder then turning invisible. She had gotten use to making a ball out of it but anything else, like firing it or making it explode was wearisome. It took months worth of training before she could get a small ball of ectoplasm to be fired and exploded or cause damage to other beings. Hoarfrost explained to her that as well as there being malicious ghosts there was also the plants and animals of the Ghost zone to worry about, and that wasn't even starting on the humans.
She had been told that there were humans throughout time trying to summon demons, ghosts, spirits, goblins, beasts and other monsters that should not be messed around with. What the humans didn't realise is that when they "play" around with magic they actually do, do something. Many of the ghosts had been taken out of the Ghost zone via magic that the humans used, which in turn cause the ghosts to retaliate by reeking havoc on the town that took them from their homes. Some of the towns where smart and used Blood blossoms to take down the ghost and ended them. It was a terrifying process to watch and even worse to experience.
Blood blossoms would tear the ghosts apart slowly while draining them fast. Apparently it was similar to being stabbed multiple times by a rusted dagger. But that little last part of information depended on the ghost being asked. Some said things like; thousands of tiny creatures eating at your body or slowly falling apart in agony or even being dipped in acid then placed in the coldest place then hottest place all at the same time. The point was, it was agony to who ever experienced it. Any one that was a ghost that is. Humans are completely unaffected and could even eat this plant and disarm it's effect on ghosts. 
It was a great ward and a great bit of vegetation to spice up food if you were a human.
She had asked multiple times what these Blood blossoms looked like but each time was she was told "She would know when and if she ever came across one."  She didn't understand what that meant though. So she shrugged it off with a bit of hidden worry.
"Sketch! Concentrate! We do not need to go over our agreed training rules again do we?" Hoarfrost yelled out to her. She yelped dodging an blue beam from Hoarfrost.
"Noooo!" She yelled back dragging out her answer. She flew around another blue beam in a circle with a bit of a giggle.
"Then retaliate Sketch." Hoarfrost commanded sending out more blue beams at once. She flew around the attacks, dodging as fast as she could while red energy gathered in her hands.
"Okay! Slow down! You're making it hard to react!" She whined barely dodging a blue beam. Ice formed on the cloth the blue beam touched in cold fractals.
"In a real battle you will not be given the time to think like this Sketch." Hoarfrost fired a large beam of blue at her with out hesitation.
"Ah!" She screamed turning intangible before it hit. She then flicked ice off her hair and clothing.
"You will have to make your own time. Make the opposition panic. Make each of your battles your own and dominate them." Hoarfrost continued throwing ice spears at Sketch's now tangible form.
"Okay! Okay! Okay!" She screamed and fired her red attacks at the ice spears before sending a small red ball of ectoplasm at Hoarfrost.
Hoarfrost smiled with jagged teeth. "Good! Very good! Now dominate the battle. Take the control." Hoarfrost then blocked the red ball of ectoplasm that Sketch sent, with a strong ice shield, making the ball explode against the shield.
"Woah..." She commented at the shield before shaking her head inside of the hooded shawl. "But what if I don't want to fight? I would rather draw and sketch then battle another ghost."
Hoarfrost sighed. "Not all ghosts will be kind Sketch. We are made of of good and bad, we are still a living beings even if we are dead."
"That doesn't make any sense." She said confused, again it must have shown in her completely red eyes because Hoarfrost frowned.
"Even ghosts are evil Sketch." Hoarfrost said bluntly. "There will be times will someone will want to end you. Make you fade away."
Fade? No one told her about what this "fade" is. She guessed it was something like death or ending. Hoarfrost just shook their head with a face palm.
"Fading is just another term for ending Sketch, there are many terms for death here and yes your eyes do give it away."
"Oh.." she whispered before giggling. "Okay." She may be covered up but her eyes did always give away her emotions and thoughts.
She then yelped as she dodged another ice attack from Hoarfrost.
"Come on Sketch just land one hit and then you can have your fun." Hoarfrost promised with two blue balls of ectoplasm gathering in each hand.
"Fine." She sighed before bombarding Hoarfrost with very small red ectoplasm balls that exploded upon impact. Hoarfrost was of course unaffected and had blocked all the attacks by making a temporary floating shield of ice.
"Good but could be better." Hoarfrost complemented to the air as she had disappeared from Hoarfrost's sight and Hoarfrost was now watching, waiting.
Using her invisibility and ability of flight she floated closer quietly to Hoarfrost bit by bit. She stepped through the air on the non existent ground inching closer.
Step... step... she was now behind Hoarfrost inline with Hoarfrost's back with a hand out stretched. One hit then she can go draw? Okay. One touch.
Hoarfrost swung around with a backhanded punch, shocking Sketch out of invisibility as she was hit and sent flying to the side.
She screamed in fright and slight pain as she landed in a pile of snow, that was built up around them in the arena as an added safety precaution.
"Ow..." she moaned and laid buried in the snow pile. "That hurt..."
Hoarfrost chuckled and walked over to her. "It was meant to young one. A very good tactic though. It didn't work on me but can work on others."
"O-okay." She stammered and sat up. Snow fell off her as she moved. "Can I go now?" She asked rubbing her injured side, she could feel a bruise forming from that hit.
"In a moment. Who taught you to form shields? I've not seen you use any kind of shield yet." Hoarfrost questioned holding a hand out to Sketch. She gladly took it and stood up.
"No one has yet." She started only for Hoarfrost to interrupt her.
"No one has taught you how to make shields! How outrageous! It is one of the most basic yet important things you need to know about when using powers!" Hoarfrost ranted gaining an angry look then started pacing.
"Hoarfrost." She whispered, scared to interrupt the angry Farfrozen.
"It is so simple too! It's only a little bit harder then firing attacks of ectoplasm! Even then that is easy! Ooh! I'm so stupid! I should have checked before hand if you could make shields. Who else has been teaching you besides me and Frostbite? I need to have a word with all of the ghosts training you." Hoarfrost continued only pausing the pacing when asking Sketch about who was training her.
"Hoarfrost I-I only-" She stammered before being interrupted again.
"It doesn't matter! I'll teach you now!" Hoarfrost declared taking hold of Sketch's invisible hand. The only time she had her hands visible was when she was using her own attacks. Even when she was hit her hands stayed invisible, much to her surprise. "If you aren't taught how to form shields then there will be no chance at you surviving a battle. Even deflecting another's attack would have been good! Now summon your ectoplasm into your hands like you do with any of your attacks."
She just stood there in slight shock. What was going on now? Wait. Hoarfrost was asking her to make a ball of ectoplasm. Okay.
Slowly she managed to gather red energy into her hands.
"Good. Now with a flat hand wave your hand over the general area of where you want your shield to form. Make sure you let the energy float off your hands to make the path, which will form to make the shield." Hoarfrost stated watching intensely.
With a confused look she simply waved at Hoarfrost slowly. Hoarfrost's jaw dropped in shock.
"No! No! No! No! No! What are you doing? Wave your hand over a larger space! And don't let the energy stick with your hands. No! Like this!" Hoarfrost then demonstrated to an even more confused Sketch.
"H-hoarfrost.. I-I don't think I'm ready to make shields yet." She whispered but Hoarfrost heard loud and clear.
"What! What makes you say that?" Hoarfrost asked dismissing the ice shields that had been formed from the attempted demonstration.
"You said that it is harder then firing attacks." She started quietly dismissing the ectoplasm gathered in her hands.
"Yes but only a little bit." Hoarfrost answered with crossed arms.
"I-I have trouble making attacks to even fire. Besides, I, umm... I want to rest." She continued rubbing her now invisible hands together nervously.
Hoarfrost stared at her for a moment contemplating her reasons.
"Okay. We'll continue next time. Then I will make sure you can fire attacks with ease and form shields to protect you and others around you. That's the good thing about shields, it protects others and your self. Some take even cover whole realms if the ghost is strong and powerful enough or has multiple ghosts working together on keeping the shield up." Hoarfrost said patting Sketch on the shoulder.
She nodded with a smile, grateful that today's session of training was over. Was it even day? Time was hard to tell in the Ghost zone. "Rest up young one." Hoarfrost said letting Sketch go while looking elsewhere. "I'll see you in the dinning hall later." Hoarfrost hesitated.
She looked at Hoarfrost confused slightly.
"What's wrong Hoarfrost?" She asked with a tilted head. Hoarfrost looked at her with a slight frown.
"Patrol is back earlier then they are meant to be." Hoarfrost answered before ruffling Sketch's hooded head. She yelped out a short "hey" in response.
"Go have fun. I am just going to see what's going on."
"Okay." She smiled and floated away, out of the arena to her icy home, that she was given out of the kindness of the Farfrozen. When she got to her room she then let her thoughts wonder.
Why did it matter if the patrol came back early? How did one know if it was early as well? Time was hard to tell because there was no sun or moon.
She blinked. Sun or moon... where did she remember such things as the sun and moon. What were they? Ghosts? No. You can't tell the time from ghosts. Or can you?
She closed her eyes and tried to think of life before she was a ghost. All she knew was that she was a human before a ghost and that her color scheme was wrong. There were a few little things here and there, memories? Possibly. Things like a green thorny plant in a hot place. Lots of fear and sweat too. That was a main thing. Fear and sweat... so so hot.. too hot...
She didn't know what to think anymore and just laid on the bed she was provided.
Maybe she should sleep. Yeah sleep. That sounded like a good idea right now. Let her body heal and charge before food...
How did the Farfrozen know when to serve out the food for their people?