I'm Coming Home Part I (Gruvia)

I'm Coming Home (Part I) Gruvia

"Papa?"

"Mm?"

"When's mama getting home?"

Gray Fullbuster opened his eyes and looked down. He was laid in bed, shirtless as usual, with a small, warm body next to him. As he looked, thinking over his answer, he noted the hair, blue like hers but unruly like his, and the large round eyes, a replica of those he fell in love with.

"Soon." He reached over and placed his hand on the little girl's head, squashing down the curls so they fell into her eyes. "Don't worry. Your mum can take care of herself."

"Mm." A pause. "I miss her."

The small body scooted closer to his and with the doting smile of an enamoured father he allowed it, scooping the child up and tossing her above his head. Gray smirked as she squealed, catching her with ease and cradling her to his chest; a distraction perfectly executed.

"She'll be home this week." He promised, fully believing it. It wasn't a long mission, it wasn't dangerous and Juvia could take care of herself. There was no reason for him to worry, though of course he did it anyway. "You hungry?"

In response his daughter nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck. Playing their usual game, Gray stood without holding onto the small body and allowed her to test how long she could hold onto him, though of course his arms were only inches away. Just in case.

They arrived in the kitchen and the child was dropped onto the table while Gray meandered over to the stove. Looking back, he rolled his eyes.

"Put your dress back on, pipsqueak."

The girl giggled, obediently slipping from the table to a chair and to the floor; an adventure in itself for the six year old.

"But papa's not wearing any clothes either!" She exclaimed as she ran into her bedroom, her mane of blue hair flying out behind her. Gray looked down.

"Goddamn-!"

There was a click and a slam from the hallway and Gray's ears perked up, cutting off the curse.

"Mika? Gray?"

"Mama!"

A still-naked Mika tore through the hall, past the open door through which Gray could see very little, and launched herself at the currently disembodied voice.

Gray smiled and continued making dinner, mostly content just to hear them talking; for now at any rate. Two excited voices rose and fell, each complimenting each other, until finally there was a playful scolding and two small feet pattered off to get changed.

A moment later two arms wrapped around Gray's torso from behind. He abandoned the breakfast and turned around to face his wife, ducking down to capture her lips even as she opened them to utter a greeting.

"Welcome home." He murmured, pressed his forehead against hers. Juvia smiled brightly, her cheeks still flushed after all this time, and ran her fingers through his hair, reacquainting herself with the way he softened beneath her gentle, loving touch. "How was the job?"

"It was good." There was a pause. "Juvia missed you." They were both counting the seconds until their daughter burst in upon them, intent on demonstrating what she called love and Gray called unnecessary noise. They were safe, for now, so Gray wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair, a contented sigh escaping his lips.

"The breakfast is burning." Juvia noted, mildly, and Gray groaned, nuzzling deeper into her soft hair. "Gray-" She stopped and sighed, half exasperated as he pressed a kiss to her jaw, entirely ignoring her words. "Juvia thinks Gray is hopeless."

Gray chuckled and removed himself from his wife, turning around to save the food. Juvia busied herself getting the plates out as Mika burst in, immediately attaching herself to her mother's leg as she wandered about the kitchen. From then on there was a fairly constant stream of questions spouting from Mika; 'where did you go?' ("Crocus") 'did you kill a monster?' ("No") 'can I come next time?' ("Maybe in a few years") until the moment they sat down at the table to eat.

**

"Goodnight, Mika."

"'Night, mama."

The child was asleep almost before the words left her mouth. Round eyes fluttered shut and her lips opened into a large, pink 'O' as she rested. Juvia stroked blue hair away from her daughter's forehead and stepped back with a smile, closing the door quietly.

"She asleep?" Gray asked as Juvia tumbled into bed beside him, a yawn escaping as she snuggled down, her head resting on Gray's arm. She lay on her side, watching him as he watched her.

"Mm." She answered, her eyes closing, though she tried her best to keep them open. She hadn't been alone with Gray since before she went on the mission, and now that she was she was falling asleep! "Was everything okay without Juvia here?"

"Fine." His fingers grazed her cheek, her neck, her shoulder, travelling down the side of her body and stopping at her hip, returning to her waist and tugging her closer to him. "Just...no more jobs for a while. Okay?"

"Okay." Juvia promised, her voice a tired whisper, and he chuckled.

"Go to sleep. I'll still be here in the morning."

"I don't want to-"

"Juvia." His voice was gentle and she sighed, smiling against her will and tucking herself into him.

"Goodnight, Gray."

"Goodnight, Juvia."

It was as they both lay, slowly slipping into a dream, that they knew they were happy. Their life wasn't easy (neither liked leaving a six year old and a life partner at home while they went on a mission but it paid the bills) but they were happy. They had love to come back to, a family; someone who understood them. They had a home.

Juvia wouldn't change it for anything.