38 ✿ Lizard

"Newt...if you can't leave, then I'm staying with you."

Newt looked up at Moira with relief and gratitude, pulling her into a tight hug, holding her like he might lose her if he didn't.

Minho shook his head.

"If you guys change your minds, which I hope you do when you realise how dumb your decision is, please let me know okay? If you two have any brain cells between you, you'll change your minds."

Minho's voice was solemn and defeated. Yet Moira sensed a glimmer of hope that he was holding, believing they would come with him when it came to it.

"I need to go talk to Gally, see you later," he rushed the words out before turning and heading for the decrepit canteen where most of the test subjects hung out together after curfew.

Moira and Newt made their way through the door  of A4 - A12.

They continued talking for a while, both of them almost trying to forget the day's events together, getting lost in their own little world.

Just before Moira was about to leave for B1 - B12 where she slept, she noticed Newt had grown quiet. First his sentences gradually got shorter, then he was nodding or sighing, listening quietly to her babbling.

The room was still empty apart from Newt and herself. The boys were always late for night curfew, which had already passed. The guards were meant to send everyone to their rooms at eleven, but soon they lost interest in what the subjects did. The subjects weren't going to tell W.I.C.K.E.D. the curfew wasn't being enforced - it was at night that they had their only free time. The guards took this as an opportunity to leave work early, letting the lab rats do whatever they wanted between eleven at night until eight in the morning.

They were sitting in the corner of the room. Moira knew when Newt was quiet there was something on his mind. Sensing this, she stopped rambling. Newt was staring at his hands which were clasped tightly together - fidgeting.

"Newt, are you alright?" she asked cautiously.

Newt turned his head towards Moira and she noticed his eyes were glazed with wet tears. He tried to hide them, tried to look strong.

"I'm sorry I tried to force you to stay here with me. It was you're own decision. I was being so bloody selfish."

Moira took one of his hands in hers.

"Newt, listen to me, I want to stay with you, alright?"

"Just because I can't survive out there doesn't mean it's the same for you. Who knows? Maybe you could make it out there, but because I'm selfish I've made you stay here where you could be killed," he looked away.

"Newt-"

"All because I want you to stay with me-"

"Newt I-"

"If you die here it will be all my fault," he spat.

Moira pulled him close.

"No, Newt. It won't be your fault. You could never hurt me alright? I am choosing to stay here with you whether you like it or not. If I die here, well then good. I'd rather die in this place with you than live out there without you."

Newt gripped her tightly.

"Don't say that, Moira."

"It's true, so just shut up and accept it okay?"

Moira's teasing finally brought a smile back to Newt's face. Then it faded almost as quickly as it had appeared.

"It's not just that I can't go because I'm not immune..."