40 ✿ New Names, New Faces

Moira and Newt waited at the entrance to Lizzy's area, waiting for the signal.

Jemma said when the light above the door flashed from red to green it meant she had unlocked all the doors they needed to get through to reach Lizzy. All cameras had been switched off and all guards near the area alerted to Thomas' distraction.

Newt glanced to Moira.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked.

"Are you?" she retaliated, knowing he was only asking out of courtesy.

Newt smirked.

"Of course I am," he assured her. 

Then he paused and said seriously, "I miss her. I need to do this."

It sounded almost like Newt was trying to convince himself. Moira could sense he was nervous.

"I know," she comforted, taking his hand in hers which brought a smile to Newt's fearful face as they both continued watching the red light above the door.

Finally the light changed to green. This was it. They shared one more glance before opening the door.

The two travelled through corridors and more doors, stairs and lifts as instructed by Thomas, who had educated them on the route they were to take to Lizzy.

Finally they reached the final door.

This was it. The moment they had risked so much to experience.

Newt approached the door.

"She's through there?" he asked with a crack in his voice.

"Yes," answered Moira softly.

Newt paused at the door, a hand shakily tracing the unlocked handle.

Moira remembered how little time they had before Janson returned to the control room.

"What's wrong, get in there and see her!" she encouraged Newt cheerfully.

But Newt wasn't as joyful as he had been on the way. Now it seemed as if he was ready to abandon the entire ordeal. A realisation had dawned upon him.

"It's just..." he paused again, struggling to express what he was feeling.

"What?"

"What if she doesn't remember me?" he blurted. "What if I walk in there and the person I miss the most looks at me like I'm a complete stranger?"

Moira held her breath. She hadn't thought of that possibility. Now she understood his nervousness.

"Maybe she won't recognise you at first but come on, she would hardly have forgotten her own brother! Anyway, how will you know she doesn't remember you until you've seen her?"

Newt breathed deeply.

"I just don't know if I could handle that. I spend so much time missing her and she might not have spent a second remembering me."

Moira placed her hand gently on Newt's shoulder.

"I don't know...I don't know if she'll remember...but what I do know is that if you don't go through that door now and see her, you'll regret it for the rest of your life."

Newt looked up at her with fearful eyes before nodding slowly.

"You're right."

With a trembling hand, Newt turned the handle...and opened the door.

Inside there was a canteen with a number of younger children sitting around chatting and carrying on. Suddenly they all stopped what they were doing and stared in silence as two strangers entered their area.