Too Little, Too Late

It's such a tragedy.

A tear rolled down Daniel's face, but he didn't bother to wipe it away. He held onto his watermelon pillow tightly as another tear fell down his face, creating a small wet spot on his pillow.

Jonah pulled open the curtain on Daniel's bunk. "Daniel? What's going on? Why are you crying?"

Daniel sniffled, shaking his head.

Jonah looked closer. "Wait... what? Are you watching Ugly Dolls on your laptop? You know they told us they didn't put our song in the movie, right? Is that why you're crying?"

Daniel hiccupped. "It's... it's just so beautiful."

"Huh?" Jonah asked, confused.

"The movie, it's... It's beautiful."

Jonah shrugged. "You know what, enjoy the sock puppet movie. I'll be doing something that's..." He sighed. "Something that's not crying over a cutesy kids movie."

Jonah closed the curtain, going into the back lounge where the rest of the boys were playing Fortnite.

Corbyn slid his headphones off. "So? What's the deal with Daniel? Is he okay?"

Jonah raised an eyebrow. "He was crying over Ugly Dolls."

"Huh?" Jack said, clicking his mouse aggressively as he stared at his laptop screen. "How's he crying over that? Zach and I watched it with Isla and Reese and they just thought it was cute."

Jonah shrugged. "He said it was beautiful or something. I don't even want to know. Even Svea's too old for that movie."

Zach shrugged. "Typical Dani. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really the youngest in this band."

Corbyn laughed. "No, he's just innocent, and sweet, and sensitive..."

"Seriously, though, he has to toughen up eventually." Jonah frowned. "This world is cruel. It'll rip him apart if he doesn't learn how to face it."

"True."

~~~~~~

It was finally nighttime, and they had parked the tour bus at a trailer park to get some sleep.

Daniel woke up in an uncomfortable sweat. His heart was pounding out of his chest. He felt a vague sensation numbing his mind. He propped himself up, trying to catch his breath.

And then it hit him.

I'm going to throw up.

He slid out of his bunk, stumbling to the bathroom. He didn't even bother to turn on the lights as he leaned over the toilet bowl and emptied the contents of his stomach directly into it. In the dark, all he could sense was the burning pain through his throat and the unwavering noxious taste in the back of his throat. He heaved, and heaved, and heaved, and cried as the nauseous feeling overwhelmed him.

When he was done, he locked the door and leaned against it, tears streaking down his face. He felt horrible. He just wanted to be home again. He missed his mom, and his dad, and his siblings, and his home. He was in so much pain--

A loud knock on the door roused him from his thoughts.

"Yes?" Daniel said, trying to clear his throat so he didn't sound like he was crying.

Jonah's voice came from the other side. "Hurry up, please. I have to go."

"Okay. Sorry." Daniel replied, flushing the toilet and rinsing his mouth in the sink.

He opened the door. "Jonah, I'm feeling--"

"Give me a minute." Jonah said as he pushed past the younger boy and entered the bathroom.