2: Pavlova

Vibration from your phone woke you up abruptly from your slumber on the sofa.

"C-Cake!" You were roused from a riveting dream about your lover's favorite food. Quickly, you looked down at your phone, wondering if it would be your darling.

It was not. It was one of the kids from Wammy's house; one of the potential successor's for Lawliet.

M: Hi, YN! How are you? It's boring here. No challenges. Do you think L would let me come along with him? 3

You laughed. Mello, or M as you had him in your phone, was very ambitious. He had a lot of spunk about him, and a deep love for chocolate which you appreciated.

YN: His answer to everything is always no. You know that o(﹏╥)o

M: He's such a bully. ~ Come back to Wammy's House! We miss you so much! The little kids especially... And maybe me too! You're probably lonely, aren't you?

You were about 8 years older than Mello. Two years younger than Lawliet. Mello had always been like a little brother to you, whereas Lawliet had been more like...

Well, you weren't quite sure. He had certainly been something else. But now, you did recognize how lonely you were.

YN: Soon, M! I promise. And I'll bring fancy chocolates! Me and L both.

M: Are you going to get married? (n˘v˘•)¬ You should.

YN: Don't tease me! Didn't I just tell you that his answer to everything is always no? _ Forever Alone

M: I'll always be here for you!!! Alright, have classes! Text you later!!!!

YN: Bye <3

You hugged your phone close and smiled. You loved talking to the children at Wammy's; especially since it gave you something to do.

Suddenly your stomach growled. You were absolutely starving.

"Pavlova!" You suddenly decided. "Must have."

Lawliet oftentimes kept the pantry fully stocked, so as you looked up a recipe, you only had to search the kitchen to ensure you had each ingredient.

First came the meringue; you needed four egg whites and a pinch of salt to begin with. You grabbed a glass bowl and an electric mixer to combine the egg whites and salt. After separating the yolk from the whites, you began beating the clear, mucous-like substance at a low speed, slowly increasing it until you got to a high speed. It was amazing the physical change that egg whites went through, going from that nauseating substance to satiny peaks. Then, you paused to grab the sugar. You measured out 1 and ¼ cups of superfine sugar and started to gradually beat it into your bowl one tablespoon at a time until the meringue became stiff and shiny.It was beautiful and you wished Lawliet was here to stick his fingers in it and slouch over top of you to bug you about when it would be ready.

After all of that, you sprinkled in two teaspoons of cornstarch, one teaspoon of white-wine vinegar and a few drops of vanilla, and folded it all in gently. You dumped it all out onto a parchment paper-lined tray and then went to put it in the over.

"Damn." You cursed. "I forgot to preheat."

Lawliet never forgot to preheat. He would have insisted on eating it raw if you had done such a silly thing. He wasn't patient when it came to sweets. Or when it came to a little something else...