11: Rumpelstiltskin

As you sat on the plane, you read a collection of fairy tales-- Brothers Grimm, of course. After all, you had already read Who Killed Palomino Molero about three times. You decided the best course of action and you were on that course... sixteen of the nineteen and a half hours onto that course. And that was just the flight.

You sighed as you got up to stretch, pausing in the middle of Lawliet's favorite fairy tail: Rumpelstiltskin. As you walked to the bathroom from your first class accommodations, you reminisced on the memories you had surrounding it.

"So you're saying she had to guess that tiny mean man's name?" You were six years old and speaking to the newest arrival at Wammy's House: a boy whose name you didn't know.

"Right." The boy nodded, legs pulled up to his chin.

"And she did it because her father lied to the king and said she could spin straw to gold, and the tiny mean man did it for her so she wouldn't be killed but then, he kept asking for more and more," He could practically hear the tiny cogs churning in your mind. It was cute to him. "So she promised her kid but she didn't want to do that when she had the baby, so he said to guess his name. And she only ended up getting it right by spying on him?"

"Sounds like a very adequate summary." Wammy was sitting in the room, heavily supervising the interaction. He had to monitor the new recruit as well as monitor you; an orphanage find from four years prior. Clued in from a news broadcast of a local orphanage asking for books to be donated for a toddler who had taught herself to read, he investigated. He found not only were you suited for research, but currently your skill for code-breaking was nothing to snuff at either.

"So do I have to spy on you to learn your name?" You asked, wide eyes looking up at the boy. "Because I really want to be your friend."

Suddenly he coughed and turned his head, causing Wammy to focus his interest more.

You sat next to the panda-like child and wrapped your arms around him, causing him to stiffen.

"We can share books and share secret codes." Wammy laughed at your first offers, knowing that although those things were special to you, they weren't particularly a draw to others. "Or candy."

Surely such a child-like request won't persuade him. Wammy thought.

"Half of all the candy you get." His raven hair swished towards your own hair.

"Unless its my favorite candy at the time." You reasoned with him.

"I suppose that can be an exception." He relaxed, your arms still around him. "Lawliet. L Lawliet, is my name. It's a pleasure to meet you."

You awoke as the overhead lights came on and the seat belt light flashed in your airplane. Not remembering that you fell asleep once you returned from the bathroom, you were a bit taken aback by the dream, but not perturbed.

You would find your Rumpelstiltskin.

You would find that troublesome L Lawliet.