16: Unrequited and Understood

Not that anything could actually be easy. Not when it involved Lawliet. But eventually, you did make it to the address, if you could even call it that. The place it led to was little more than a shack on a gorgeous beach.

With no hesitation, you opened up the door and looked around.

It was empty. Completely empty, as if not a soul had ever entered the sanctuary.

Devastation ran through your veins like ice. This was a journey set up for something else. Perhaps a vacation for after the Kira investigation. A vacation that L would never make.

In contrast to the icy feeling inside your body, tears began burning your face. It was all a waste of time. The traveling, the decoding, the guessing-- all for nothing but another empty house in the end. 

"I've lost him. I have truly lost him..."

"And I thought I hated losing things." A familiar voice spoke from outside of the shack. "Are you as childish as me?"

"It can't be." You looked up suddenly.

"You know, I suppose I actually do hate losing things more than you. After all, you didn't make yourself disappear from the world, legally change your name and sit patiently in a shack outside of a shack for months, checking for someone, in order not to lose me." Lawliet sat next to you and pulled you close. "That was all what I did so I wouldn't lose you."

And your will broke, loud sobs erupted from your body as you wailed into Lawliet's shoulder.

"This isn't even our actual destination, my dearest YN. I had to ensure that if you were not the one to find me, that I would still be alive for you. Whenever you could come find me. Although I will say, you certainly took your time."

This earned a smack on the chest from you. He then lifted you up and carried you along the beach.

"Playa Roja. The red beach. You wouldn't have been able to decode this, but that is why my heart was colored red, you know." He whispered to you. "Any and all hints for you and you alone."

But you couldn't speak. You simply absorbed the feeling that was relief. Soon, a small house arose in the distance. That was the target. And once you both arrived, the morning sun began to peek over the edge of the horizon. Lawliet sat down with you.

"I really do pity the rest of the world, YN" Lawliet spoke to you softly as he stroked your face.

"Why is that, Law?" You moved your body closer to his, beginning to enjoy the sunrise from what was apparently your isolated home on the beach.

"Compared to my love for you, everyone will suffer through unrequited love in their lifetime."

You laughed and leaned your forehead against him.

"I don't think I've ever understood you, Lawliet, but I don't need to rush it." You smiled. "I have the rest of my life."

THE END