Trust

Toga skips ahead of you as you push through the crowds that cover the city streets. Of all the places for the guy to hang out, he has to do it in the busiest damn place in the city. It certainly won't make your job any easier. You'll have to find a way to draw him somewhere quiet.

"We're nearly there! I hope you have something cool planned," Toga says, struggling to project her voice above the noise. You don't have anything planned to be honest, you much prefer to think on the fly because you do better under pressure. Still, if this guy has a speed quirk, that means that there are a multitude of wonderful ways to kill him with it. The only problem is how to do it. Toga slows her pace, coming up beside you before wrapping her sweater covered arms around your left. You feel uncomfortable at the contact. She's every bit the energetic girl you were worried about. "Are you going to wrap a wire around his neck and make him run away?"

"No," but you'll have to save that idea for later. Toga pouts and looks to the sky absent-mindedly. She doesn't say another word until you come across the urban park where the target is supposed to be hiding. Behind the red rail is a small plot with a public toilet, swing set and a few benches. On one of the benches is a larger looking man wearing a cap to cover his face, but even from your poor position you can tell that it's him.

"This is the part where I'm supposed to stand back and let you work," Toga scoffs, peeling away from your arm and pushing you from behind, "Go get him!" You stumble away from her and close into the park taking the bench across from him. This location is too public, you need to find a way to get him somewhere quiet. As you sit there and plan, his eyes catch yours from across the way. They narrow slightly as you tilt your head in confusion, did he find you out already? He takes a deep breath and stands, dashing into the crowd at a brisk pace.

Paranoid.

You stand and follow him. This is perfect. He doesn't have anywhere he can run, the crowds are going to stop him from using his quirk. His only option is to...

He peels away from the street and down one of the alleyways, he must expect you to be coming for him. He's right to be worried. Making sure you're out of eyesight you dissolve your body and float above in the darkness of the buildings, materialising on a set of steel steps coming down from one of the buildings behind him. He's peering around the corner waiting for you to follow, but you're already here. His shoulders slump after a few moments, a deep sigh of relief condensing in the cold air. He turns around and spots you, gasping in shock.

"How the-"

"Hello, I'd like to see your quirk please," you mumble.

"My quirk? You followed me down here to ask me that?"

You shrug.

"Listen kid, I'm trying to... keep myself out of trouble. You shouldn't be following random people into places like this, because you might run into somebody who isn't as nice as I am," he begins to approach you with a frown. You see a yellow eye peer around the corner.

"Nice? But wouldn't a nice person avoid betraying his friends?"

He stops, eyes wide.

"You're fucking... you're working for them?"

"I never said anything like that."

"Don't try and play games with me kid. This is life or death."

"No, it's just death."

His body vibrates before disappearing from view, a second later an unseen force grabs you by the jacket and tosses you into the middle of the alley. You scuff up your hands on landing. There's a limit to your reactions, you didn't expect him to be this fast. There's no way you can predict his attacks, so there's no way for you to properly avoid them without turning into ash, but from there you can't use your fire. There's no need to show your entire hand just yet.

You gasp as another shot hits you across the nose, bloodying it. There's no point in moving to evade, you scout out the location instead. Something on the back wall catches your interest. Another shot in the stomach brings you to your knees. He stops in front of you, struggling to handle the momentum. "You should have quit while you had the chance kid. What kind of lies did they feed you? They'll kill you and toss you into the pile with the rest of them, at least like this I have a chance to get out.

"But you know? I'm a nice guy, run along and I'll forget all about it," he laughs, pulling off his cap to reveal a fiery crop of bright red hair. You clutch your hands and look up, he deftly moves away as a burst of fire releases itself from your palm.

"Oh, you've got some skills? Fire, an old standby. A bit too slow to hit me though."

He's right, but you're not trying to.

"Maybe they should have thought about who they were sending. This game of quirks is all about what you have, and sometimes it just doesn't go your way." He dodges more of your fire with ease, now he's starting to get cocky. You stumble back towards the wall, overplaying your injuries as he closes in like a shark that smells blood in the water. Right into your trap.

"I'll just go ahead and end this, if you survive, good for you. You really should have taken me up on my offer though."

His body vibrates as you begin to count down in your head. He disappears.

1... 2...

You turn into ash, revealing a piece of rebar sticking out of the wall behind you. You don't have time to turn around and witness the impact, but you hear it. The combination of his speed, his inability to control his momentum in such a small space and the sharp piece of metal sticking from the wall... well it isn't pretty. Pieces of bone and brain matter strewn out behind him like a morbid party favour, his body hung limply from the wall that sealed his fate.

He was close to ending up like Lockdown, but much to your joy it pierced him directly through the forehead instead of the eye. His face is busted, no doubt from colliding with the wall at hyper-speed. You wonder if he even had time to consider what was happening before he died. You yell out in surprise as you're pushed away from him, Toga injecting him with a strange needle leading to a tank on her back. She's taking his blood, that much you can gather.

"Misty Man asked me to take his blood," she explained, "Somebody is going to be paying those heroes a visit," she giggles to herself. "Nice kill by the way. You should have seen him, he was like BAM! Straight into the wall! How stupid can you be? He's going to be real impressed."

"Want me to burn the body?"

She considers your offer for a moment, "Okay, if he turns up in a morgue somewhere that's going to cause problems." She claps her hands together as she pulls the needle from his neck, "Go ahead."

---

"Well if it isn't the hero of the hour," Tomura comments as you approach the bar. "Toga told me all about it, you're a crazy guy, did she tell you that? Not that it means much coming from her."

Kurogiri places a glass down onto the counter, "Very fine work. And no evidence either. You have a bright future in the league. If I may say so."

Tomura scoffs, "We'll see about that. Killing a noob like Redline is easy enough, but when the time comes you'll have to step up your game," he pokes at the white patch covering your busted nose, causing you to wince in pain. "Still, I have to give you points for creativity."

You grin, causing him to stiffen up.

"Maybe not, actually."

"Your first big operation is coming up in a few days. You and Toga go well together..."

"-Like a fly on shit-" Tomura interjects.

"So you'll be working with her for now. You've probably already put the pieces together, I want you and her to meet with these heroes that Redline was scrambling to. Find out what they're up to, and I'm sorry, but please avoid killing them for now. Toga has already taken his place, if you see him walking around, don't go talk to him."

You wonder what Toga's power is as Tomura shuffles in his seat, "And after that we've got something even BIGGER. Do a good job and you'll be in on that too."

"Will I get to kill somebody then?"

"Yeah, yeah, is that all you think about?"

"Yes," you respond instinctively.

Kurogiri sighs, "He was being rhetorical."