Chapter 7: Anger Sparks

I open my eyes to the sound of chatter from my Clanmates. I lift my head off my paws and look around the den, Dawnpaw isn't beside me. I get to my paws and stretch, yawning. I suddenly remember that I'm a warrior and am filled with excitement.

I leave the apprentice den and look around camp. Swanflight is sunning herself on the smooth stones behind the fresh-kill pile, chatting with Tigerstripe. Thistlekit and Poppykit are playing with a small moss ball. I purr as I watch them. I pad over to them, they don't notice me, too absorbed in their play.

"Ooh, the badger has you now!" I say in a gruffy voice as I lightly bat at Poppykit, she squeaks in surprise before her eyes gleam. Thistlekit and Poppykit both jump on me, batting at me with claws sheathed. "Oh, you got me," I say, swaying dramatically before falling to the ground.

The kits whoop in victory. I purr, lifting my head up as I hear another purr of amusement. I look up and see Troutfur looking down at me. "Their very taken with you, Echowish." I remember what Flintwhisker said and my pelt grows hot again.

I sit up and shake dirt from my pelt. "Well, what can I say, I can relate to them. Plus it wasn't too long ago I was a kit. Feels like just yesterday."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though it was moons ago the memories are still so fresh." Troutfur looks up at me and his whiskers twitch. He steps closer to me and I almost jump back. But he's already pulling away. A leaf, he had pulled out from behind my ear, in his mouth. He drops it and lets it flutter to the ground.

Suddenly, the kits jump at Troutfur. "Can we have a badger ride? Please, Troutfur!" He looks down at the kits. "Looks like I'm not the only one they've taken too." I mew, hearing Leopardfoot's distant purr of amusement as she watches from inside the nursery. Troutfur's tail twitches in embarrassment.

"How can I say no to kits," he mews, crouching down so the kits could climb onto his back. I try to hold in my laughter as Troutfur stands on his hind legs and proceeds to try and dislodge the energetic kits from his back. I can't stop the mrrow of laughter that escapes my muzzle.

Eventually, Troutfur asks the kits to disembark and they jump off, running into the nursery to bug their mother. Troutfur's ears are flat against his head with embarrassment. I try to stop my laughter and compose myself. "Well, that was interesting," I mew and Troutfur's tail flicks slightly. "They usually ask when less cats are in camp."

"Obviously because I've never seen you do that before." Troutfur licks his chest fur. "Have you seen, Dawnpaw?" The light gray tom looks up at me. "She went out hunting with Bluesky." Adderfang approaches and we both look up at him.

"I just wanted to let you know that you'll both be going to the gathering tonight." Troutfur and I share a look. "Who else is going?"

"Embercloud, Boneclaw, Stormberry, Ferrettail, and you two, along with other senior warriors, and Swanflight."

"Thanks, Adderfang," I mew and he dips his head before padding over to Birchpelt. I hear the camp entrance rustle and turn to see Embercloud and Onyxpaw enter camp together, talking with their heads close together. A few moments later and Dawnpaw and Bluesky slip back into camp.

I wave my tail in greeting and she waves back, her tail still drooping. "Echowish?" I hear Robinpelt call my name and I turn to look at the ginger she-cat. "Yes, Robinpelt?"

"Would you mind joining me while I collect herbs?"

"Not at all, Robinpelt," I mew and follow her out of camp. "How have you been dealing with Thornclaw's death?" She asks when we're outside of camp. "Is that why you asked me to come with you?" She didn't answer as she peers into the undergrowth.