Chapter 11: A New Deputy Chosen

I stare at Adderfang's body, the moonhigh patrol found him on a rock next to a small cave. The same one where we found those poor cats, we hadn't even noticed Adderfang's body. Lilyfeather noses at Stormberry who looks up at his mother. 

But before he had taken more than two pawsteps Dapplestar calls a meeting. "Today a great sorrowful thing has happened. Our dear deputy, Adderfang, has died to the causes of savage dogs that have been ravaging our home." Dapplestar is so shaken, this loss shocked her more than anyone.

"And so with a heavy heart, I must choose a new deputy. I say these words before the body of Adderfang, so that he may hear and approve my choice, Birchpelt will be the new deputy of RiverClan." I gaze at my father who looks shocked and honored. The clan cheers showing support and approval of Dapplestar's choice.

Birchpelt dips his head. I watch as Swanflight and Blazewhisker carry Adderfang's body out for ceremony. Later Lilyfeather and Stormberry will go to honor him. Stormberry follows them with his eyes until they disappear from sight. I get up and pad over to my best friend.

He says nothing as I sit down beside him. "I'm so sorry, Stormberry. I wish their was something I could do." The grey tom nods and I press my flank against his. Stormberry closes his eyes and accepts my warmth and offer of comfort. He hangs his head in mourning.

Boneclaw appears and places his tail on Stormberry's shoulder. Embercloud comes over and lays beside him, her paw resting over his. Onyxshade comes over and sits beside Embercloud, whispering condolences. Dawnpool sits in front of me and rasps her tongue over Stormberry's ear.

Stormberry opens his eyes and looks around at his friends. His eyes shine with tears and he gives us thankful looks. I look and my eyes find Birchpelt, he gives me a proud look before going to talk with Dapplestar. I see Troutfur and he waves with his tail and dips his head. I nod and he leaves with Ferrettail.

I pad up to my father and sit beside him. "I'm proud of you, Birchpelt, being deputy is a great honor."

"Yes, and a great responsibility, I hope I'll be half the deputy that Adderfang was." I lick his shoulder. "You'll do great." He purrs and licks the top of my head. A howl echoes through the air, I stiffen, my fur standing up.

Warriors who are still in the clearing perk their ears, listening. I pick up the faint sound of barking. It grows louder and louder causing my blood to run cold. Every cat is frozen in place as thundering pawsteps come closer. They get louder and louder until something bursts into our camp.

A huge dog with a black and tan coat enters the clearing. I freeze when I see the dog has a cat in his muzzle. He lets out a loud growl and ten more dogs come streaming in behind him. The whole camp suddenly bursts into activity.

Dogs lunge and meet cats, snarling and barking. I rush to the elders den and Stormberry meets me there, together we help get them into the nursery where it's easy to defend.

I hear a loud growl behind us and we turn around to see a large brown dog charging toward us. Dawnpool racing after it and slamming into the dog's side. The dog growls in anger. Boneclaw appears and launches himself onto the dog clawing violently.

I push my fear to the back of my mind and turn back to the nursery only to find two dogs trying to dig their way inside. I rush forward trying to distract the dogs and draw their attention away from the elders hiding inside.

The one dog whips it's head at me and lets out a loud growl. Stormberry runs forward and swipes at the larger dog with his claws. The dog lets out a yip and moves away from the nursery. Stormberry turns and runs, the dog chases after him.

I see Swanflight swipe at the other dog's muzzle hissing in anger. The black dog pulls it's head back only to nose back in, trying to force his way into the nursery.