Chapter 7

Jin WangShu wandered around the palace, once again lost. The map he was holding was crumpled and slightly ripped at the sides. The man mumbled to himself meaningless directions as he walked around in circles. Jin WangShu sighed in annoyance.

Why is the palace so big? None of the people staying here are all that fat, they shouldn't need so much space. He thought to himself.

"Jin WangShu? Is that you?" A woman's voice resounded from behind the man.

Jin WangShu turned around and cupped his hands in respect. "Imperial Noble Consort Ming! It's so great seeing you here. Can you direct Jin WangShu to the outer court?"

Ming ZhiRuo smiled. Jin WangShu seemed totally clueless as to why he was being summoned to the outer court.

"Of course, and you don't need to address yourself in a formal manner. It is not needed when in front of me alone." Noble consort Ming said. "Please follow me, and I will lead you to the outer court."

Jin WangShu obediently followed the lady through the palace. While making their way there, they chatted a little.

"Ah-Shu, I heard you were injured in battle. Are you all right?"

"Of course! I'm all good now, see?" Jin WangShu spun around, although it really did not prove anything at all.

Ming ZhiRuo laughed softly. "Ah-Shu, don't move around so much. I don't want you to injure yourself again."

"I will not, Xiao jie! Ah-Shu is very careful."

"If you were very careful, you would not have stab wound on your shoulder." The imperial noble consort Ming scolded.

"Sorry, xiao jie!" Jin WangShu apologized for his carelessness.

Ming ZhiRuo patted Jin WangShu lightly on the arm. "We have arrived. I will see you again later."

"Wait, xiao jie! Where do I go now?" Jin WangShu stood awkwardly at the dead centre of the outer court.

Several court officials glared at the young man in disdain and whispered among themselves. Within those court officials, Jin LanGuang was evidently upset. His face was red and shiny with sweat. To call his own son a... he couldn't even bear to think of it. He refused to show respect to a bastard child.

At the dragon throne, Li FeiHong looked on with an amused expression on his face. He watched as Jin WangShu darted to one of the sides to join some court officials. It was quite clear that the man had no idea where he was supposed to be. After watching for another few minutes as Jin WangShu struggled to join the group without being immediately shunned, Li FeiHong took pity on the man.

"Jin WangShu, please step up."

Jin WangShu perked up at the mention of his name. The young man immediately made his way over to in front of the emperor. He kneeled then kowtowed.

"Rise." The emperor spoke. "Jin WangShu, you have worked hard in the past while training to become a soldier. During China's battle against the Tibetans, I have been told by various soldiers of your willingness to continue fighting. For your bravery and courage, I am now rewarding you with the title of general."

Jin WangShu was speechless. His sudden promotion shocked him, to say the least. But before he could properly thank the emperor, a cry broke out among the crowds.

"Your imperial majesty," Jin LanGuang bowed in front of the emperor. "Your imperial majesty, I do not believe that my son is worthy of the title 'general'. He is not only incompetent, but a son of a prostitute."